Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew day...need answer somewhat quickly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
SaltyDog03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brew day...need answer somewhat quickly

Hi all. I'll be brewing my 5th batch today (4th batch is in secondary currently). Anyway, I forgot to purchase a second airlock. My only airlock is on my secondary right now. I'll be bottling the batch from the secondary in 24 hours from now, but in the next hour, I'll be brewing my 5th batch and I'll need an airlock for that.

Question: Do I need to have an airlock on my secondary for the next 24 hours? The secondary has a lid that's tapped for the airlock, but I also have another lid that has no tap on it. Can I just use the untapped lid on my secondary? Or is there another technique I should use? My LHBS is 45 minutes away and not worth a trip for the airlock.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
awarner322
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wouldn't be ideal...but you could probably get away with loosely fitting a piece of tin foil over the opening of the carboy (assuming by secondary you mean carboy).

Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Whew I am hung over but I think you are missing a air lock for your primary. You can take some of the hose you have and make a blow off tube instead of a airlock.

Just stuff the end of the tubing where the airlock goes and run it into a bucket of starsan

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

You can use a piece of foil or saran wrap over the top of the primary fermenter. It will be fine for a few weeks that way. Don't do anything to the secondary airlock.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with RM. Use some foil over the primary. You want to keep the airlock on the secondary. I wouldn't go a few weeks though; probably should have an airlock on it as fermentation starts to slow down.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you're bottling in a day, I'd use the bung for your secondary and use the airlock for the primary. That way you minimize your chance of infection on both.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
BlainD
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm assuming you are using a Carboy and not a bucket for your primary. Good trick in a pinch is to get a ballon or condom and poke a small hole in the top. Slide it over the mouth of the carboy and you have a make shift airlock. Works like a charm. It it fits loose like mine did when I had to use this trick (I have to buy horse sized profos, for my horse) use a couple of rubber bands to secure. If this explanation is confusing search it on the forum. Prost!

"Stop drinkin all that water" ~odb

Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
SaltyDog03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I have a carboy for my primary and bucket for my secondary. I'll be bottling my the batch in my secondary tomorrow, so I only need a solution for the next 24 hours. Thanks for all the input.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
boysbrew2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Agreed use tubing that feeds into a bowl of star-San......I use that for my violent fermentations!!! Works great !!!! The macguyver method of balloons or rubbers works as well!!! Happy brewing chief!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 716

aluminum foil over the primary, or a blowoff tube. I use blow tubes EXCLUSIVELY for primaries, and I rarely secondary unless I'm adding fruit/spices etc.

This is a minor problem really.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply