Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brew day from hell? need advice asap!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
skyebrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would order another stopper or cap now. A few days during initial fermentation will keep air out but once that's done, it will start letting the co2 escape and air in (usually 4-5 days).
That said, if it was me, id just chance the foil unless it was going to be in there over a couple weeks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I've accidentally pushed my stopped into my carboy too far once, not enough to dunk it in but enough that it was flush with the top. Had a hell of a time getting it out. I wish I could offer a solution to the actually retrieving of said stopper, but wow I can't even fathom how to get that out once you've siphoned your beer out.

My sympathies, best of luck! And your beer will be fine, most likely, unless your stopper was previously used as a drain stopper in your bathtub

Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefanatic View Post
At the worst your beer could be a little light but most likely you won't be able to detect a difference.
i actually passed my anticipated OG from 1.067 to 1.071

Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
iky0
Recipes 

I have an 8 gallon pot, which is a little small for my AG batches (7 gallon pre-boil). I had a small boil over at hot break and so i just pulled out about 1/2 gallon into my bucket and added back over the next 15 mins when the boil was more stable (and allowed for some evaporation). Seemed to work well.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 1 Posts

Always a good idea to have many extras of things like stoppers and airlocks. Like others have said you should get another one on there with airlock ASAP. With tinfoil, once fermentation subsides, you run the risk of air entering carboy.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000

i actually passed my anticipated OG from 1.067 to 1.071
Consider the multiple factors that can effect OG. With the multiple boil overs, and issues with boil time and hop additions your reading could be off by a decent amount. It also could be dead on, which means your mistakes helped you. Either way, you made beer and I am sure it will be just fine.

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply