Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew day #3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
DrDarwin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use blowoff tubes for the entirety of my primary fermentations. I keep the end in sanitized solution, and realized somewhere along the way that I wasn't really gaining anything by switching to an airlock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

The reason I like to switch is because the blow off tube & airlock grommet get pretty dirty. I pull the tube,wipe down the area with star-san,while the airlock is sanitizing. Then install & fill to keep things clean & sanitary.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Everything looks good to me, and I'm sure you'll make some great beer. Only thing I would suggest is some sort of fermentation temp control. If your fermenting warm you can get a much more vigorous fermentation and heavier blow off. It can also lead to some off flavors. I use Fermcap in my boil, which seems to help keep the krausen to a managable level during fermentation.

Primary #1: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale
Primary #2: Pumpkin Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Caramel Amber Ale, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Perkt
Recipes 

I have been a bit concerned about fermenting temps, though the ambient temp seems to keep it right around 68, which may be on the high side, but I haven't invested in any type of container that can cool/heat to control what the brew is sitting at. I'll look in to that fermcap, I haven't heard much about, and am doing my best to pick up as much info in the early stages of brewing as I can.
Thanks for the feedback, I've had to swap out the growlers and it's still going, so I'll probably have the airlock on it by tonight...The only change it will see is an added vanilla bean when it's transferred to the secondary, then it sits until bottling, which won't be until the middle of December.

On deck: Dunkelweizen, Belgian Blonde
Primary: Mystery ?Amber? Ale, Barleywine
Secondary: Tits Up IIPA
Bottled: English Brown, Spiced Pumpkin, Winter Warmer, SS Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
BigTerp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkt View Post
I have been a bit concerned about fermenting temps, though the ambient temp seems to keep it right around 68, which may be on the high side, but I haven't invested in any type of container that can cool/heat to control what the brew is sitting at. I'll look in to that fermcap, I haven't heard much about, and am doing my best to pick up as much info in the early stages of brewing as I can.
Thanks for the feedback, I've had to swap out the growlers and it's still going, so I'll probably have the airlock on it by tonight...The only change it will see is an added vanilla bean when it's transferred to the secondary, then it sits until bottling, which won't be until the middle of December.
Sounds good man. The fermcap is nice because it virtually elimantes boil overs. If used during the boil it also keeps krausen down during fermentation. I got mine from AHS for like $5 IIRC. I've gone through 5 brews and several starters since and still have half of it left. As far as temperature control goes search swamp cooler. I used a simple igloo cooler that I filled with water and frozen water bottles to keep temps where I want them. I've been doing double brew days lately and since have been using my spare bathtub in the same fashion. Works really well and is cheaper than purchasing a chest freezer and temp controler.

Primary #3:
Primary #4:

Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Perkt
Recipes 

Hmm..I usually have been doing ales and keeping the fermenting temps closer to 65-68, how low are you dropping these? Is this for lagers or all brews? Maybe I need to do a bit more research on fermentation temps!

On deck: Dunkelweizen, Belgian Blonde
Primary: Mystery ?Amber? Ale, Barleywine
Secondary: Tits Up IIPA
Bottled: English Brown, Spiced Pumpkin, Winter Warmer, SS Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
BigTerp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkt View Post
Hmm..I usually have been doing ales and keeping the fermenting temps closer to 65-68, how low are you dropping these? Is this for lagers or all brews? Maybe I need to do a bit more research on fermentation temps!
Depends on the yeast I'm using. Most are around 65 or so. I have a 60 minute clone and a cream ale in my bathtub currently that I'm keeping at 61. Just remember that in a tub of water the wort temp will be within a degree or 2 of the water temp. If it's just ambient temp the wort temp can be as much as 5-10 degrees higher than ambient. If you research the yeast you are using you will find a recommended ideal fermentation temp. This is what I usually go by.
Primary #3:
Primary #4:

Quick Reply