Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > breakfast brown ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
paul7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default breakfast brown ale

i am considering brewing a brown ale and adding real maple syrup, some brown sugar, and perhaps a cinnamon stick and maybe a hint of vanilla extract.

the idea is to brew a brown ale that taste kinda like maple&brown sugar oatmeal.

i also have real maple extract and flaked oats to use if needed.

i would love some feedback about this idea, thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like a job for an oatmeal stout. Add some of that roasty toasty flavor, and you've got pancakes!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds great! I did something similar with my nut brown, but didn't get much flavor. Based on my experience and reading here, I would recommend using the maple extract instead of syrup - the syrup won't contribute much if any flavor whether you use it in the boil or prime with it if you are bottling (and it is expensive). As for the vanilla, I used 4 ounces of good quality extract and you cannot taste it, I've read that vanilla is best done by putting 2-3 scraped beans in a secondary for 4-7 days. Cinnamon can be done in the boil or secondary.

Hope it turns out well, sounds fantastic!

Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
paul7
Recipes 

should i add maple extract to the secondary as well?

i was also considering doing this with a light ale too, im thinking the adjunct flavors might be more apparent in a light ale.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonite
As for the vanilla, I used 4 ounces of good quality extract and you cannot taste it
Wow! That is a ton of vanilla! I am surprised you didn't get any vanilla flavor. I added a tablespoon of the Costco brand (kirkland) to my secondary (5 gallon batch) in a vanilla porter and the vanilla was almost overpowering. The Costco stuff is an alcohol based extract and worked great. I let the porter sit on the yeast for at least 3 weeks then transferred and let it sit with the vanilla for another week or so.

I don't have any experience with the other ingredients. Might try an inexpensive alcohol based vanilla extract if you can't find the bean.

Quick Reply