The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brand new, how does this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
KC_Newbie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brand new, how does this work?

Hi there. I am completely new to brewing and was hoping to get some help as to what I need. It has always been a dream of mine to do this and I've tried to research this but I'm left with more questions than answers.

I was hoping this forum could help me. I've seen a bunch of different ways suggested to even brew the same beer. Does anyone have a link that gives a step-by-step guide from selecting the ingredients to kegging the finished product?

Thank you!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

You can start by reading the stickies at the top of this forum. There are also many books on this very subject. Most home brewing sites have them,including amazon.com. Amazon & Midwest use Fed-Ex,so they're quick too.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

There is a bunch of information on the site already covered, just be sure to search for it. (Probably may be knowing the right terms to search for)

If your completely new, I'd suggest starting off brewing extract, so you can learn the process. Here is a sticky topic on that:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/begi...g-howto-99139/

That may or may not go into the equipment you need. For about $150 there are beginner kits online that have everything you need. A kettle for boiling, a bucket for fermentation, another bucket for bottline, a bottle capper, caps, racking cane, tubing, cleaning equipment - and the ingredient kits.

My suggestion is to start there. Don't think about kegging yet. Learn to brew first, and then bottle. Learn the process, how to clean, how to sanitize. Thats how I started. I did two extract kits, then made a setup for All-Grain brewing, and setup a kegging system. But you need to learn the basics first. Brewing 101.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I thought maybe the op was referring to picking beer ingredients & how to do it?...So,do you need the equipment too?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Welcome to home brewing!

I recommend that you read "How to Brew," by John Palmer. It should be available through your library system. Before you're halfway through the book you'll know everything you need to know to make a 5 gallon batch with malt extract (liquid or dry), hops pellets, and dry yeast. It's really quite easy. Your local home brew shop (assuming you have one) will also be an invaluable source of information.

My next recommendation is that if you have any interest in all-grain brewing, don't wait too long to get your feet wet. I brewed three extract batches before switching to all-grain brewing with the brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) system, which I've found to be no more difficult than extract brewing, cheaper, and more satisfying.

Oh, and read and post a lot on this forum!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
KC_Newbie
Recipes 

I have a home brewing kit that my wife got me for an anniversary present about a month ago- that's kind of what reignited my wanting to do this- but it's the 1-gallon Mr. Beer kit that uses its own ingredients, etc.

I've seen things about malting your own barley, boiling pots with false bottoms, etc. but I'm afraid I'm not sure what all that means. I'd love to have a nice sophisticated set-up where I can do the malting, sparging, boiling, etc. myself but I'm not 100% sure where to even start.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

All grain has a lot more to it than extract brewing. Even though extracts have some rules of their own to follow,they're generally easier,since the mashing,etc has been done for you already. That'll allow you to concentrate on getting your own brewing process down 1st.
I highly recommend that as a 1st step. You've got some learning to do,so don't overload yourself too quickly.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Scratch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"How to Brew" is also available for free online (legally, straight from the author.) The online version is not as current is the printed version, but it has all the information you need.

Palmer (the author) lays the book out as a quick-start guide for the impatient, followed by more details for those who want to progress beyond the first batch.

How to Brew -- John Palmer

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
KC_Newbie
Recipes 

Awesome! Thank you guys for the help! I guess I probably should learn how to walk before I try a marathon.

Any suggestions on equipment for beginning with extract brewing that would seamlessly transition once I'm ready for the all-grain?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Newbie View Post
I have a home brewing kit that my wife got me for an anniversary present about a month ago- that's kind of what reignited my wanting to do this- but it's the 1-gallon Mr. Beer kit that uses its own ingredients, etc.

I've seen things about malting your own barley, boiling pots with false bottoms, etc. but I'm afraid I'm not sure what all that means. I'd love to have a nice sophisticated set-up where I can do the malting, sparging, boiling, etc. myself but I'm not 100% sure where to even start.
I agree with the previous posters, walk before you run. Do an easy extract, learn the basics, read the stickies and books, and brew a great first ale! Welcome and good luck.

Quick Reply