Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brand new to brewing. Some basic questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
fearlessbanana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brand new to brewing. Some basic questions.

So the first videos I stopped upon was the craigtube series. I later read that all canned brewing results in a garbage product. I don't have the money or space for all grain brewing.. so my question is what would be an easy and efficient way to produce a quality batch? What style of brewing? And are there any kits or guides you could recommend me for that style. Forgive me if my terminology is off. I'm very new to all of this. Thanks

-Anthony

Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Try midwest, northern brewer, austin brewer for kits for starters. And people can make crappy all grain batches of beer just as well as those who do poorly with extracts.

This is probably one of the best places to learn. I also found midwest's faq section to be a great help. I spent about 2 months reading first and thinking over my set up to get started.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Frankly you can get good beer (read: drinkable and sharable) from canned kits. But you will get better beer from extract, then extract with steeping grains, etc. etc. Or it'll give you more control, and thus you get to find your niche.

But the suggested retailers above should get you going, unless you live in Canada

Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Focus on getting fresh kits. Use bottled water instead of tap. Keep your fermentor in the proper temp range. These three things will help with any style of beer made from a kit.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Canned kits will make decent beer if you don't add the sugar they recommend. One can will do a 9-10 liter batch of good beer normally. When they recommend doing a 19 liter batch using several extra kilos of sugar along with one tin, then you'll get some butt ugly tasting brew.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In your place I would go with extract w/steeping grains.
It doesn't require more equipment than kits and result will be better, plus it will give you more pleasure since you'll create your own recipes.

More about:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/index.html

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

"Use bottled water instead of tap"

This is going to depend on where you live. If your tap water tastes good, it will make good beer for the start of the boil. Use bottled spring water to top off your five gallons with. Avoid any bottled water that has been stripped of it's mineral content.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I love Craig's videos too. Have a Cooper's Stout going right now. Just go slow. Sure start with the canned kits. Use 700g dry malt extract and 500 dextrose (corn sugar) like Craig reccommends and get that down really, really good as far as technique and sanitation before you move on. The canned kits make decent beer and are a good way to master the basics, so do it for a while to get your technique down before moving on. No sense in investing in a lot of additional equipment or doing more complicated recipes and wasting money if you don't have good technique and sanitation practices. I'm going through the beginner process right now too, so keep in touch and maybe we can help each other out.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dry malt extract and steeping grains if you cant go AG..You just entered a hobby that is much like herpes..once you get it you cant get rid of it..cheers

Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post
Dry malt extract and steeping grains if you cant go AG..You just entered a hobby that is much like herpes..once you get it you cant get rid of it..cheers

That's quite the interesting choice of analogy

Quick Reply