Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bourbon porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
thisgoestoeleven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bourbon porter?

Going to the homebrew shop next weekend. I'm planning on picking up ingredients to make a porter, which I'd like to age over bourbon-soaked oak chips. What is the best way to go about doing this? I assume soaking the chips, and then putting them in secondary? What's the timeframe like for a beer like this? Any help/feedback would be very much appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default bourbob porter

I made an AG bourbon porter. I boiled the oak chips for a few minutes then soaked then in bourbon for 2 weeks (while the wort was in the primary). I then added them into wort in secondary for 2 weeks. I was told that you could leave them in longer, but that would give a stronger bourbon flavor. I bottled a couple months ago and let it age for 4 weeks before I started tasting. Now, 3 months later, the bourbon taste is really smoothing out and blending well with the beer. I used French oak chips. Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
ongreystreet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeldon View Post
I made an AG bourbon porter. I boiled the oak chips for a few minutes then soaked then in bourbon for 2 weeks (while the wort was in the primary). I then added them into wort in secondary for 2 weeks. I was told that you could leave them in longer, but that would give a stronger bourbon flavor. I bottled a couple months ago and let it age for 4 weeks before I started tasting. Now, 3 months later, the bourbon taste is really smoothing out and blending well with the beer. I used French oak chips. Hope this helps.
Do you know what weight in chips you added? I am doing an Irish Whiskey Porter and was considering using chips. I am a little hesitant to do too much, since after a week it already has a pretty decent toasted/coffee flavor.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Oak chips

I used the entire 4 oz package.

Quick Reply