*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bourbon barrel aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
WortIfied
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bourbon barrel aging

Many have seen my recent thread outlining my planned frankenbrew extract Black Rye Imperial IPA.

If not here are some specs: 8oz caramunich, 8oz caramel 40L, 8oz chocolate malt, 8oz chocolate rye, 3.3# dark lme, 3.3# amber lme, and 6# or possibly 3# of gold lme. 4oz warrior for bittering, 4oz centennial for flavoring, 4oz Simcoe for aroma, and 4oz Simcoe whole leaf for double dry hopping.

I have a used recently poured bourbon barrel on the way. I was thinking heavily about taking this planned IIPA, dubbed Black the RIIPA, and letting it soak in this barrel as its secondary. I have had Burton Baton and Dogfish 120min, two of my absolute most favorite bevs.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so how long should I let soak? Does it matter it's a 8gal barrel and my batch is 5 gal? Would dry hopping be a good idea in the barrel and if so should I wait till the last week of soaking?

I think that's about it hah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
WortIfied
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can anyone shed light on some tips to barrel aging? Just kind of concerned about putting 5 gallons in a 8 gallon barrel, seems like alot of headroom. I have tank of c02, so maybe flush the 0xygen out and stick an airlock on it?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied View Post
Can anyone shed light on some tips to barrel aging? Just kind of concerned about putting 5 gallons in a 8 gallon barrel, seems like alot of headroom. I have tank of c02, so maybe flush the 0xygen out and stick an airlock on it?
Barrels really need to be full. They are porous and your co2 blanket will dissipate with time leaving you vulnerable to oxidation and perhaps acetobacter.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
Barrels really need to be full. They are porous and your co2 blanket will dissipate with time leaving you vulnerable to oxidation and perhaps acetobacter.
+1 to this.

Brew another small 2 gallon batch and add it in when you transfer to the barrel. This way your barrel is full. Since you are aging, the extra week or 2 to make the smaller top-off batch should not set you back too far!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
WortIfied
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking, that's alot I headroom for a 5 gallon batch. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply