New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > It was bound to happen but what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #21
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlysurfnbeer View Post
My 13th batch, yes 13, is infected. I transferred in to secondary about a month ago...
They [the ancient mayan prophets] say that in year of a lord 2013 all homebrews and probrews will be infect. there will be a shortage of brew which will lead to fire and brimstone; the dead rising from the grave; dogs and cats living together; mass hysteria...

Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #22
theonlysurfnbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs_casey View Post
What's the story on all the crud on the outside of the carboy? My guess would be that it's leftover from the transfer to secondary? Maybe something else happened? You say you still see it bubbling. Did you take hydrometer readings before you transferred to verify whether fermentation was complete?

Pull a test sample, get a reading and give it a taste. What do you taste? Hopefully, it'll taste like flat beer! If not, you might have to investigate a little further...

Wipe down that carboy!
I know it looks like crud on the outside, but it's not. I had soaked cacoa nibs in rum and when I poured it in, that was left on the inside of the carboy. Outside is clean as can be. Did take hydro readings, no drop for a few days, that was when I transferred. Already tasted it, flat chocolate beer. After this thread and all the great feedback I'm feeling better about it.

In Primary:
Ron Zuchoco Porter
"Take off Eh" Stout

In Seconday:
Ironic Italian Stout
Bourbon Oaked Old Ale

In Bottles:
Double IPA
Cherry Stout
Irish Stout
Limon Leme Wheat
Imperial Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post

They [the ancient mayan prophets] say that in year of a lord 2013 all homebrews and probrews will be infect. there will be a shortage of brew which will lead to fire and brimstone; the dead rising from the grave; dogs and cats living together; mass hysteria...
Ghostbusters FTW!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBoy
Ha, my 13th batch was infected too! It did have a pellicle, I don't have a picture, I forgot. It didn't taste bad so I bottled it, waiting for it to carb up for a final verdict, but it's getting little mini pellicles in the bottles. :0

Replaced my fermenter, it was scratched, and brewed a Two Heart clone on Sunday. That one seems to be off to a good start, hoping for no infection in 14.
Well two weeks in the bottle, couldn't resist chilling one down and opening it today. No gusher, that's good, carbed up nicely. The taste is OK, not great but not bad either. So... it looks like I got away with that one, I know it still could go south on me. But, it's the only finished beer in my pipeline for now so it doesn't have to last long.

Quick Reply