Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottom broke out of carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
petrolSpice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Bottom broke out of carboy

Several days ago I racked my saison into my Northern Brewer 5gal secondary glass carboy for fruit addition. About 5 hours later I heard a loud crack, and then the following morning I noticed a puddle around the carboy. There was a crack about halfway around the bottom of the carboy that was leaking.

Luckily I managed to salvage most of the brew back into my primary. I took the carboy outside and dropped it from about 6" into the trash can and the entire bottom broke out. I'm glad it broke when it was empty and didn't cut my arm off.

Is this a common issue?

Definitely leaning towards Better Bottles now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Some people go through their entire brewing time without breaking one. Others have issues. Including (I read) a death due to breaking carboys. When I started I made the decision to go with Better Bottles mainly due to weight. They are durable and if you don't use a brush to clean them who knows how long they will last. I soak overnight with Oxyclean then rinse well, add about 1/2 gallon water and a washcloth, swirl around, remove the cloth and rinse some more. The longest time in washing is filling it with water.

I am glad I made that decision 2 3/4 years ago and will never use a glass carboy.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Trox
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The bottom of my 6.5 gal carboy broke out a few months ago. Had it filled with some water and oxi-clean and was having dinner with my son when about 45 minutes later heard a load crack from the kitchen. I went out to investigate didn't see anything at first, and then when I placed my hand on the carboy to look around it it just let loose dumping 6.5 gal of water all over my kitchen floor. Luckily have the kitchen gated off so my 2 year old couldn't get into the kitchen.

After that I pretty much swore off glass carboys and will probably start investing into some Better Bottles. There was a very noticable difference in weight between the bottom portion that broke off and the rest of the carboy; the bottom was probably about twice as heavy as the rest.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
petrolSpice
Recipes 

Well... three months later the bottom just broke out of my 6.5 gal Northern Brewer carboy while 2.5 days into fermenting my IIPA. It was sitting all by itself, hadn't been touched for 2.5 days. Luckily it was in the garage and not inside on carpet. This batch cost be around $75... These carboys a ^&%*ing garbage!

Better Bottle FTW.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
bnairuni87
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default broke first carboy

I broke my first carboy the first time I started brewing, a little over 18 months ago.

I almost immediately switched to Better Bottles, and have been using them exclusively. I complete my primary and secondary fermentation in the Better Bottle and age my beers in kegs.

I enjoy the ease of using these lightweight bottles.

Brent

Bottled:
Keezer:
Kegged: Brett Sour IPA, Kolsch IPA
Primary: Blueberry Honey Mead, SMaSH IPA, Iron Brauer IPA
Secondary:
Aging/Conditioning:
Bottle Priming/Conditioning:
On Deck: Gluten Free Ale,

Rest In Peace: London Stout, Liberty Cream Ale, Saison, Blonde Ale, Red Rye IPA, Pilsner,Hank's Hefeweizen, Black Dog Ale, Belgian Trippel, Imperial Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout, Katy's Citra Bomb IPA, Belgian Honey Ale, Shogun Lager, Czech Lager

Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I'm sure glad no one was hurt in these glass carboy episodes. It further reinforces my disinterest in every having glass carboys.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
fuelish
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 245

I've only had one break, due to "accidental user error" ....was transporting it by the handle, had bad allergies, and suffered a violent sneeze, which allowed the bottom to bump the basement floor, which broke it, but....no injury, basement (old old house) had drains in the floor near the washer and hot water heater), so cleanup was relatively easy compared to if it had happened upstairs somewhere. I brewed beers and a few meads over 10 years up in MI, that was my only glass related problem. Have gotten back into fermenting (concentrating on meads this time 'round), and now always put glass carboys into milk crates for moving around. I have no problems with the safety of glass, as, had I not sneezed, I'd have had 5 more gallons of my house IPA to drink

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
WI_Wino
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been brewing and making wine for 12 years (off and on). Only broke 1 glass carboy when I was in a rush and it slipped out of my hands as I putting it in the carboy drying stand. YRMV.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
petrolSpice
Recipes 

I suppose I got a bad batch of carboys. Having both 5 and 6.5 gal carboys break, on their own, after maybe 5-6 uses, is just ridiculous not to mention downright dangerous.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
I've only had one break, due to "accidental user error" ....was transporting it by the handle, had bad allergies, and suffered a violent sneeze, which allowed the bottom to bump the basement floor, which broke it, but....no injury, basement (old old house) had drains in the floor near the washer and hot water heater), so cleanup was relatively easy compared to if it had happened upstairs somewhere. I brewed beers and a few meads over 10 years up in MI, that was my only glass related problem. Have gotten back into fermenting (concentrating on meads this time 'round), and now always put glass carboys into milk crates for moving around. I have no problems with the safety of glass, as, had I not sneezed, I'd have had 5 more gallons of my house IPA to drink
Not trying to be a nitpicker but... if the IPA had of been in a Better Bottle you might not have lost much (maybe any) even with the sneeze.

I have a glass carboy that was gifted to me a while back but I only use very occasionally. And every time I do I feel nervous whenever I have to pick it up. I am still plenty capable of handng the weight but a glass carboy is awkward at the best of times and I'm pretty clumsy. The horror stories I've been reading on here lately (from lost batches right up to death - yikes!) have me pretty much convinced that I should get rid of it and buy another better bottle. The near misses (no injuries but beer was lost and rooms flooded) reported in this thread only serve to strengthen this conviction.

Quick Reply