Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling by yourself... how do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
truekey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did one gallon today and I switched tubes. No issues with the siphon at all, must have had an air gap in the last one. Almost no spills. I found putting all the bottles close and just moving the wand to work best. Used the bottling bucket to mix priming even though its a bit ridiculous for one gallon. Nice clear amber beer!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardhomebrew View Post
I have found that most brew kits come with a diameter of hose that doesn't fit the auto siphon correctly. If you are having to stroje more than once your grabbing air. Try getting a new hose that fits the siphon tightly and this will fix your problem. It worked for me.
This gave me fits the first time I tried siphoning! I ended up using electrical tape around the hose/wand connection and that worked.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
Gravedigger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Another vote for siphoning into a bottling bucket and using a spring loaded wand. Wand hangs in the air and I move the bottles.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #24
ShadyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes my bottling wand get stuck open and pisses beer when out of a bottle. So to compensate for that I put all the bottles in a picnic cooler (in case some beer drips), and pull up a chair and move the bottling wand from bottle to bottle. Very quick, easy and clean.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
CTR08
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Pisses beer? Maybe pick up a new one for 5 bucks?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Nah,just take apart the little pin valve on the end of the wand & soak it in PBW for a while. then use a soft toothbrush to scrub it a lil,rinse,& reassemble. They do get a little sticky with drying beer in them. Or run some cleaner & sanitizer through it as soon as you're done bottling. I've been doing it that way lately.
CTR08 Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I bulk prime the primary gently stir wait an hour then bottle from the tap.
I have no problems with clarity either. Although I always bottle condition for 2 months.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Nah,just take apart the little pin valve on the end of the wand & soak it in PBW for a while. then use a soft toothbrush to scrub it a lil,rinse,& reassemble. They do get a little sticky with drying beer in them. Or run some cleaner & sanitizer through it as soon as you're done bottling. I've been doing it that way lately.
This, mine is just spring loaded. Remove the tip, spring falls out and then you just have a straight piece of racking cane, a tip, and spring to soak...

Mine will last forever as long as i take good care of the spring.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 465 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 91

My no stress bottling. My set up is in the utility room. As I'm bottling the double sink with bottles in draining rack is immediately to my left. Bottling bucket in front of me with bottling wand attached with 2" hose. Bucket is on sawhorse/OSB table with an extra 8" lift under the bucket to make the bottom of the wand 16" from floor. Resturant bussing tray under the wand. Bench capper is fastened to second adjacent table. I'm sitting on a mechanics rolling stool. While filling a bottle my arms rest on knees. No back stress. Roll over to the right to set the bottle near the capper. Roll back grab another bottle. I'll fill a dozen bottles then stand to cap them. At least one cat sitting on a chair behind me watching.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm one brew in and tried to bottle with a siphon + wand. Never again. I bought another bucket, drilled a hole, attached a tap + wand and will bottle from that from now on. As above, priming solution into bottling bucket, swirl beer in from FV via autosyphon (without splashing), then bottle.

Quick Reply