Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling by yourself... how do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

Here's a 2 part bottling vid I did for youtube that shows how I do it;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I move the WAND or TUBE and never the bottle... Speeds things up very nice.

Can screw up you cardboard case but I just swing by a liquor store and get more.

I fill a case and then cap...

Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is awesome advice. I found my tube fits loosely on my auto siphon, so that could be an issue. Just want to keep everything as zen as possible.

Time to go to the LHBS and get some new tubing. Got three gallons of cider and a gallon of amber beer to bottle this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

Thanks everyone

Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
I move the WAND or TUBE and never the bottle... Speeds things up very nice.
Try moving only the bottle, and never anything else. Speeds things up even quicker when the hose & wand just hangs in mid-air and all you need to do is lift the bottle up into it.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
bassman22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Siphon to bottling bucket with spigot via wand and some tubing.

Use a 2 inch piece of tubing and connect spring loaded bottle filler to the bucket spigot.

Set bucket on counter and open dishwasher door to catch all spills. The spring loaded bottle filler diameter is perfect such that the area it takes up leaves one inch in the tops of bottles- just fill the bottle to the very top, and removing the bottle filler leaves an inch of head space.

Cap when there is no more room on the counter and box up.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 72

When I bottle I have my 15 year old help me. The reason you feel like you need more hands is because you do lol. He swaps bottles while I run the Auto siphon and cap them. My auto siphon has an extention on the botteling end that has a stopper. When inserted into the bottle you touch it to the bottom and let the bottle fill up. When your ready to stop filling you lift it and it stops the flow. Then just stick it in the next bottle and it starts again. But you for sure need another person.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

^^ I lol'd at this one. With my set up in the vid, I'm boxed in & sometimes forget something. A helper def comes in handy now & then. And I decided to loose some weight so I don't break the camera next time. 17lbs down & counting...

Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts

I bulk prime in a bucket and use an auto-siphon with a bottling wand for bottling. I put a cheap hose clamp on the hose just above the wand in case I get interrupted while bottling. Leave the wand in a bottle set the clamp and walk away (don't leave it like that for too long).

I put my bottling bucket up on a table (tilted up on a peice of 2x4) along with a tub containing my sanitized caps (I use glass and plastic bottles). Off to one side I put a little stand that has my bottle tree full of drained bottles. Between the table and the stand there is enough empty space to stand all the bottles and a chair for me to sit on. From the chair I can reach the bottle tree and the tub.

I put a couple of bottles on the floor and start the siphon. When the first bottle fills I move the siphon to the next bottle, grab a cap and lay it on the bottle I just filled. I may yank another bottle or two off the tree while the current bottle fills. I usually lay the bottle out in rows and back my chair up a little as I finish a row.

When all the beer has been bottled I go back and tighten the caps (plastic) or clamp them on (glass). If you use plastic bottles and caps I recommend gloves when tightening unless your job/lifestyle has left you with tough hands. I make my living behind a keyboard and my lily white hands blister at the slightest amount of friction. The first time I bottled a batch I rose and broke a blister in the web of hand between my thumb and forefinger before I realised I was doing it. Yes, my father (marine diesel mechanic) makes fun of me for this.

I always bottle alone and so far this method has worked out great for me.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
backyardhomebrew
Recipes 

Your going to spill a little between bottles its a given. The more you do the better you get.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
CTR08
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Auto siphon into sanitized lauter tun which has sugars in for priming, wrap siphon hose on the bottom of the tun to create swirl. Once all in tun w/ sugars, attach bottle wand and go to town siphoning into bottles. Have sanitized lauter tun near by to place bottle wand in in between. Works well. Beer does not flow until you push wand down, and stopping flow in between does not hinder the flow for the next bottle. Switched to this after fear of scratches on my ale pail and I am not turning back! That is to say, using an auto siphon to bottle can be a breeze.

I bottle a six pack, then cap, and continue. Six pack by six pack.
And horray for bottle trees!

Quick Reply