New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling...When To Do And Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Bottling...When To Do And Recipes

So today I gave a little taste test to my first batch that's been in secondary for 1 week. Prior to that it's been in primary for about 8 days. FG upon racking to secondary was 1.011 and today (1 week later) for the check/test it was still 1.011. There seemed to be some bubbling over that 1 week in secondary. I think its good to bottle since FG has been stable over 1 week and it's looking much clearer. (tastes pretty decent). My questions are...

1. How close does real life follow recipes for SG, racking, and time? This beer seems done in 2 weeks vs. the 2-4 weeks I hear on other forums and mentioned in the recipe.

2. If I were to bottle now, would there be enough yeast to ferment for CO2 or does more settle the longer you wait? Carbonation is a big concern for me as I REALLY appreciate a good prickle with my beer and want to make sure I don't over/under do it.

3. Do you ALWAYS go by FG readings to bottle/finish/rack? Is it the safest way? Is there any benefit to waiting longer?

Getting pretty excited to try my first batch! Any info/opinion is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
gelatin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a young beer, but if you like the flavor go ahead and bottle. It's hard to say how closely real life follows beer, yeast have a mind of their own. You will have plenty of yeast now, and plenty if you waited another month. Carbonation is mostly dependent on priming sugar, temperature, and time. FG readings tell you when you can bottle, but time will mellow the beer and blend the flavors.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Many average gravity ales can be done in 2 weeks. But is it real clear or slightly misty? Or still cloudy? If it's clear or slightly misty it's ready to bottle if the FG is stable as well. I like to bottle when it's settled out clear or slightly misty,as it's conditioned enough for the usal botle room temp time of 3-4 weeks. That will finish carbing & conditioning the average gravity ale to where it'll be ready in that time for the 1-2 week fridge time.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Kidagora
Mr.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

image-2611682763.jpg

Not the best pic, I'd say slightly misty. I'm opting for another 1-2weeks in secondary from bottling. What could it hurt, right?

I'd say the taste/flavor is muted and a little more body than expected. Not amazing but surprisingly good. Noticed more alcohol than anything else. Hops in the background and a little sweet after taste.

Thanks for the recommendation!

"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. It saves on introductions and goodbyes. The ride does not require explanation - just occupants."

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

It's ok to bottle now,but another week won't hurt. But then I'd def bottle to keep the hop flavors fresher.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you are ultra worried about clarity, look into wirlfoc tablets (I think that's how it's spelled). It's Irish moss. I don't even do a secondary and my brews are nice and clear usually. There really isn't any hurry to bottle beer unless you are in a big hurry. Does that make sense? If you have the inkling that you may want to wait another week, then do it. One thing I've learned from this site is to be patient. The more worry you throw at your beer, the less its going to come out how you want.

Quick Reply