Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling this weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3167 Times on 3072 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
I also read that fluorescent light was bad for beer but it didn't say why. Anyone?
Basically, light, from any source, reacts with the bittering agents from the hops and creates other compounds that smell "skunky" to humans.

Quote:
"Hops help flavor beer, inhibit bacterial growth and are largely responsible for the stability of the foam in the head," Forbes said. "Hops, however, are light-sensitive, and the three main compounds in them identified as being light-sensitive are called isohumulones. When attacked by either visible or ultraviolet light, these break down to make reactive intermediates known as free radicals that lead to the offensive taste and skunky odor."
UNC chemists figure out what causes ‘skunky beer’

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Why do you need to move it so far in advance? Don't move it until you're ready to rack to your bottling bucket and you won't have to worry about light.

I agree...Though some people figure letting it sit for awhile will let anything kicked up by moving the beer out of the brewcloset settle back down....I don't bother...I move it out then sanitize bottles and boil my priming sugar...I figure that's enough settling time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Why do you need to move it so far in advance? Don't move it until you're ready to rack to your bottling bucket and you won't have to worry about light.
Look, I'm an excitable chap in the midst of my first brew. It wasn't so much that I needed to move it but I got to hug the carboy for 30 seconds while I carried it.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3512 Times on 3402 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Look, I'm an excitable chap in the midst of my first brew. It wasn't so much that I needed to move it but I got to hug the carboy for 30 seconds while I carried it.
You can hug it in the closet, too. Then hug it again when you move it on bottling day.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
You can hug it in the closet, too. Then hug it again when you move it on bottling day.
It's on my kitchen counter now with a towel 'round it. Maybe I can sneak hug when my wife isn't looking.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
And that my friend, netted you a spot in the memorable quote thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
I think the hoppiness is just silly.
Those, good sir, are blasphemous words. There is NEVER too much hoppiness!! Hope your first brew turns out great!!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #28
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beer primed and bottled on Saturday with the patient assistance of my lovely SWMBO. I had some clear bottles that I used (most were brown, all in boxes in a dark room) just so I could see some of what was going on with batch#1. I've read in some posts about bottle krausens (kreusens?) but after two days I don't see anything. Is this OK? I know, I know. Let the yeasties do their job. RDWHAHB. I think I'm going to call this on "Worrier".

Actually I'm just hoping to get one of those terribly sexist pictures of a young lass (who probably has a great personality and is a fabulous conversationalist) with a gun posted in response.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You wanted it, you got it!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post

You wanted it, you got it!
Copycat!!!!!!

Quick Reply