The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Tomorrow, Any Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bottling Tomorrow, Any Suggestions

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the bottling process run smoothly as I'll be doing it for the first time tomorrow.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the bottling process run smoothly as I'll be doing it for the first time tomorrow.
Use your dishwasher liberally. Not only as a drying rack, but as a platform on which to fill your bottles. That way you don't spill on the floor and you get to sit down.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to put in your priming sugar BEFORE you transfer your beer to the BB.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Don't forget the priming sugar. I put it in the bottling bucket first and then rack on top of it.

If you have a dishwasher use the top rack to drain the bottles after sanitizing and use the door for filling them up.

If you are using a bottling wand you cannot put the wand in a bottle while you do something else or it will begin to fill. I did this and when I came back it was overflowing.

Gary

Old 09-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Don't forget the priming sugar. I put it in the bottling bucket first and then rack on top of it.

If you have a dishwasher use the top rack to drain the bottles after sanitizing and use the door for filling them up.

Echo echo echo echo
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Echo echo echo echo
Great minds think alike.

Gary

Old 09-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #6
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest having a plan and setting up everything in order before you start.
Make sure you get your sanitizing done, then have your bottles lined up or on your bottling tree and ready to go. Figure out a system. Fill six then cap them, or fill twelve then cap them and fill the others etc. If you have help then one can fill and the other cap. Whatever, just have a plan and a system. Learn from this time and use your knowledge next time. I lay towels on the floor especially under where I will be filling. Make sure you boil your priming sugar with enough time for it to cool before you get to siphoning. Pour it in gently. Have paper towels handy. I bought a 5 gal bucket at Home Depot to fill with sanitizer solution so I can sanitize a bunch of bottles at once. The bottling tree helps for air drying/draining.

Take your time, map it out don't drink too much brew until your almost done or save it until finished.

And relax!

Old 09-16-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....

Recipes 

Default A Noob's idea

I just did my first batch and have not gotten to the bottling, but I have been giving it alot of thought. I have a plastic storage tray that is normally used to keep wrapping paper in. I plan to line up the bottles in there, on the counter, and have the BB on an elevated stand above it. That way, I can sit on a bar stool, have access to the sink (for any spill cleanups) and SWMBO is going to man the capper on the other side of the counter. I'm hoping it works smoothly or else, this may be the shortest hobby career I ever have.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 09-16-2006, 03:23 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Give your wife a spendy shopping budget and tell her not to look in the kitchen for a few hours.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, SWMBO wants to be the capper, anything to keep her happy so I can continue to brew.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately for me I don't have a dishwasher (well, I am the dishwasher) so I was planning on lining the bottles up on paper towels on the counter for easy access and then handing them off for capping.

Another question is whether I can sanitize my caps or should I really be boiling them?

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I sanitize my caps, was told by my LHBS not to boil them.

As far as bottling goes, I rack to the bottling bucket then immediately clean the fermentor and fill with approx. two gallons of sanitizer. Before I fill my bottle from the bottling bucket, I pour a few ounces from the now sanitized fermentor and swish around then pour it out, now the bottle is sanitized inside (I use one step).

My first brew ever was ruined due to sanitation issues and I haven't had a problem since I started this method.

Quick Reply