The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottling tips using only primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
Specs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bottling tips using only primary

I have just learned that it is very acceptable to use only a primary and it is not necessary to rack into a secondary for further fermentation.
What I would like to fully ferment in the primary. When fermentation is complete I would rack into a different container in order to mix in priming sugars before I bottle.

I am interested in switching over but would like to know if anyone has tips on bottling without stirring up too much sediment. I find even trying to open my 30litre primary lid i stir up a lot of sediment. And also when I am bringing it from the floor to the kitchen table for racking.
Also when using only a primary, is the 6.5gallon plastic pale with drilled lid the best to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
SMOKEU
Recipes 

Bottle it straight from your fermenter.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would still use the bottling bucket - I don't think it is possible to add your priming sugar to your fermenter without disturbing the sediment

two things I would recommend that you can try

1: Cold crash your carboy the night before you rack into the bottling bucket

2: There are liquid yeasts that will form a more compact sedimentary layer than others

Just some ideas

Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

No need to stir in priming sugar if you use carbonation tabs to each bottle. Slightly expensive but the only viable approach I see for you if you want to bottle straight from the primary.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

just add two teaspoons of white sugar to a 700ml bottle before adding your fermented wort, easy as that

Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Put your primary up on the table a couple hours before you actually transfer it to the bottling bucket. This will give it some time for the yeast you stirred up moving it to settle back down.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Don't......

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy..which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

And then ONLY use your bottling bucket AS A BOTTLING BUCKET, and you won't have to have this issue again.

If you can't find a spigot today, then rack to the bucket and fill the bottles with the autosiphon, if that's what you wanna do, but you really should move it to a vessel where you can evenly integrate the priming solution and the beer.

But if you try driectly from the primary you will have unsatisfactory results and possibly even cardboard tasting beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
C4PNJ4ZZ
Recipes 

Slightly off topic, but it's worth mentioning

If you have to move your primary/secondary before bottling do it at least a day before you bottle. This will let the stuff you kick up settle before you rack into the bottling bucket. I normally move my primary to the kitchen the night before I bottle and place it on the counter. I then rack and bottle when I get home the next day. I've always been happy with the results. I generally do a 2-3 week primary.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
I have just learned that it is very acceptable to use only a primary and it is not necessary to rack into a secondary for further fermentation.
What I would like to fully ferment in the primary. When fermentation is complete I would rack into a different container in order to mix in priming sugars before I bottle.

I am interested in switching over but would like to know if anyone has tips on bottling without stirring up too much sediment. I find even trying to open my 30litre primary lid i stir up a lot of sediment. And also when I am bringing it from the floor to the kitchen table for racking.
Also when using only a primary, is the 6.5gallon plastic pale with drilled lid the best to use?
If you can, get the primary down to ~35 F before transferring, that will help the yeast settle tightly to the bottom. Then just be careful as you rack to the bottling bucket. It is a bit easier to do in a carboy since you can see where the tip of your auto-siphon is (another tool I recommend having). You can use the 6.5 gallon bucket with the drilled lid though.

The best bet for mixing in the priming sugar is to boil it in a cup of water then put it in your bottling bucket, siphon on to that. You can set the siphon hose such that it creates a swirl in the bucket as it fills and this will mix the priming sugar in well.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
BrewHog09
Recipes 

How do you guys feel about cold crashing the night before moving to bottle? I primary in a chest freezer and I really don't want to transfer in my garage for fear of infection, so moving is unavoidable.

Should I crash cool tonight, move it in the morning and siphon at night? Obviously the temperature would raise and some of the protien/yeast/whatever would come back into solution, so it wouldn't be perfect but might be a happy medium.

Quick Reply