Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Questions
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Bottling Questions

I can not wait any longer, I want to bottle my 9 day old beer already so I can brew another batch and get it in the fermenter.

When bottling, you add sugar. But the beer still has yeast right? So why can't I just bottle now and let the bottled beer sit an additional week in the bottle? Does 1 week in the fermentor and 3 weeks in a bottle produce similar results as 2 and 2?

Thanks

__________________
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,592
Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Does 1 week in the fermentor and 3 weeks in a bottle produce similar results as 2 and 2?

Thanks

Maybe, maybe not. I think most would say not.

The single biggest problem is that if fermentation isn't complete you're at much higher risk of creating bottle bombs.
__________________

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,883
Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Why leave it in the fermenter longer:

The sooner you put it in the bottle, the more sediment you will get in the bottom of the bottle, which can potentially get poured into the glass.

If you have too much yeast in the bottle, it will start giving off flavors as the yeast dies and feeds on itself (autoloysis). It would need to be stored for a while for this to become noticeable.

The more trub in the bottle, the more nucleation sites you will have. This can result in gushers as you open the bottle.

Once fermentation is finished, the yeast are not yet done. During fermentation the yeast created some by-products that are generally undesirable (acetalhedyde and diiecetyl are a couple). Once fermentation is over the yeast start converting these products and cleaning up ythe beer. This will also happen in the bottle, but will happen quicker if the beer is left in bulk on the yeast cake.

Bottle now if you like (it is your beer), but it will be better if you leave it in the fermenter for another week.

It generally takes 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle. It can be quicker, I was drinking one with only 2 weeks last night and it was fine.

__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I think most would say not.

The single biggest problem is that if fermentation isn't complete you're at much higher risk of creating bottle bombs.
What if I am using plastic bottles?

What if I dont add sugar?

Also, I added a cup of cane sugar as well during brew time... could I skip the sugar primer in the bottling?
__________________
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Why leave it in the fermenter longer:

The sooner you put it in the bottle, the more sediment you will get in the bottom of the bottle, which can potentially get poured into the glass.

If you have too much yeast in the bottle, it will start giving off flavors as the yeast dies and feeds on itself (autoloysis). It would need to be stored for a while for this to become noticeable.

The more trub in the bottle, the more nucleation sites you will have. This can result in gushers as you open the bottle.

Once fermentation is finished, the yeast are not yet done. During fermentation the yeast created some by-products that are generally undesirable (acetalhedyde and diiecetyl are a couple). Once fermentation is over the yeast start converting these products and cleaning up ythe beer. This will also happen in the bottle, but will happen quicker if the beer is left in bulk on the yeast cake.

Bottle now if you like (it is your beer), but it will be better if you leave it in the fermenter for another week.

It generally takes 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle. It can be quicker, I was drinking one with only 2 weeks last night and it was fine.
Good info, thanks!
__________________
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Can I just go to lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket then? Santize the heck out of it and use it? Do I need to modify it?

__________________
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Default

Read the info I put in THIS POST and follow the link in there as well.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,334
Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Can I just go to lowes and buy a 5 gallon bucket then? Santize the heck out of it and use it? Do I need to modify it?
No, it has to be food grade HDPE and those are not.

As to your other questions, if you bottle the beer before fermentation has completed you expose yourself to exploding bottles plain and simple as the beer will continue to ferment in an uncontrolled manner with no knowledge as to the pressure build up.

While your beer may be nine days old it is nine days of actual fermentation. For example, if the beer did not actually start fermenting until say day 2, then it is only 7 days. Either way, the beer is not done and will benefit from another week in the primary, if not two.

Verify FG by taking a gravity sample and then another 2 days later, if the same then the beer is done. When priming you are adding a specific known quantity of sugar to the beer to achieve a desired, known volume of CO2 or carbonation level.

If you really want to get another batch going then visit the LHBS and pick up another bucket! Patience will reward you with much better beer!
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
boscobeans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 913
Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Buy another bucket...

Bottling too soon without priming sugar:
1. Flat Beer.
2. Good beer with more sediment than if you waited.(true only if you lucked out as to the timing---DOUBT IT.)
3. Shards of glass or plastic and beer all over the place.

Bottling too soon with priming sugar;
1. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.
2. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.
3. Glass or plastic shards and beer all over the place.

OMO

bosco

__________________
boscobeans is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Thanks. I have a local brew store and may just spend the 15 dollars :-)

http://www.heartshomebrew.com/index....roducts_id=408

__________________
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 questions about my bottling mmonteiro Bottling/Kegging 6 06-01-2012 05:21 PM
Bottling Questions Pugs13 Bottling/Kegging 11 02-06-2012 05:56 PM
Bottling questions wdewd Bottling/Kegging 7 10-17-2009 10:44 PM
Bottling Questions ctbrewer227 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-21-2009 06:07 PM
Another Bottling Questions badnaam Extract Brewing 12 05-30-2007 10:47 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS