New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
rustybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling Question

Hey All,
I bottled my first batch on Wednesday and I haven't seen any bubbling or signs of carbonation thus far. I boiled watter, dissolved the sugar in it, cooled it and added it to my bottling bucket. Anyway I was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks in advance!
~Rusty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

You can't "SEE" anything happenning in carbonation/bottle conditioning, except sometimes maybe you'll see bottle krauzens...but most of us just stick our bottles in a dark 70 degree place and leave them alone for the 3 weeks Minimum it take for a beer to be carbed and conditioned...

Read this, it explains why...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

In other words leave them alone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
rustybrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Revvy! I assumed everything was going to plan, just wanted some insight! I'm going to start my second batch today!

Have a good one!
~Rusty

Old 06-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrew View Post
Thanks Revvy! I assumed everything was going to plan, just wanted some insight! I'm going to start my second batch today!

Have a good one!
~Rusty
Good, it will take your mind off this one...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I echo everything Revvy said but add that you shouldn't cool the sugar water before adding it to the bottling bucket. The purpose of boiling it for ten minutes before adding it to the bottling bucket is to ensure sanitation. By letting it cool, you're welcoming an opportunity to reintroduce contaminants to your precious brew.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I echo everything Revvy said but add that you shouldn't cool the sugar water before adding it to the bottling bucket. The purpose of boiling it for ten minutes before adding it to the bottling bucket is to ensure sanitation. By letting it cool, you're welcoming an opportunity to reintroduce contaminants to your precious brew.
I disagree.... I quickly cool mine all the time, I plunge the pan in a sink of cold water and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes before, it doesn't take all that long to cool 2 cups of water.

Don't forget you are adding it to finished alcoholat this point so more than likely if anything contaminated the syrup in the short cooling time, the booze would kill that.

You don't want too much of a temp difference between the beer and the yeasties in the beer. If you are dumping boiling sugar water into a bucket, any yeasts that come into contact with it could be killed before the volume of beer cools off the priming solution....

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sure, it's quick to cool two cups of boiling water to pitching temps if using a water bath but it's not necessary as the heat addition of two cups of boiling water to five gallons of fermented beer is negligible and won't result in any significant loss of alcohol or flavor in the finished beer. IMO, it's an unnecessary step that only allows the needless potential for infection as boiling sugar is much less likely to harbor bacteria than cooled sugar regardless of the length of time the sugar is cooled.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

dissolving the sugar? I have only bottled twice, went straight to kegging. But I never pre-dissolved the sugar and both my bottled batches came out great. just put the sugar on the bottom of the bottling bucket then racked the beer to it and gave it a quick stir before bottling. I used fine corn sugar though. what type of sugar are you using for bottling?

Quick Reply