Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
jmuman703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys! I just bottled my bavarian weissbier. I was a little unnerved because my final gravity was a little higher than the recipe says. However my starting gravity was equally as high. Starting og was 1.055 (should have been 1.050) and my ending og was 1.015 (and the recipe said it should be 1.010). Do you think it's ok or do you think I just bottled a bunch of bottle bombs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

As long as the gravity had stopped dropping (three consecutive days of the same SG), and as long as you didn't add too much bottling sugar (plenty of calculators around) there's virtually no chance of bottle bombs, barring glass defects.

You'll just have a little extra kick in your brew (assuming a temp of 65 for both measurements, about 5.3% ABV) but that's hardly a bad thing.

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
jmuman703
Recipes 

Ok interesting. I may be in trouble. It's been in primary for three weeks and i only took two readings. One was 1.020 and 6 days later it was 1.015. I might have jumped the gun a bit. I was excited. However, when I took my first reading at 2 weeks there was still a thin layer of krausen on the beer. Today when I bottled it was gone. Oh well I guess I need to RDWHAHB! Haha

Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good news is that Hefeweizen is supposed to have a lot of carbonation. You're living on the edge and pushing the envelope! Just hide behind a table while your doing it in case the glass starts flying...

Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can find bottle washers at any brewshop or online. Try to find the ones made by the "jet Bottle and carboy company" of Traverse city, Michigan. Theirs comes with a lifetime warranty, if it breaks send it in and they'll replace it. Mine died after 7 years of use, I mailed it in on a Thursday two weeks ago, and it arrived on black Friday. With a nice note saying they were sorry it broke...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
I wouldn't use a dishwasher, personally. I know some do, but I think the glass that bottles are made of aren't heat-treated, so the extreme temps in a dishwasher might degrade the volumes of pressure that they can hold over time. Then again, I might just be paranoid. I usually just bathe them in oxyclean for a couple of hours/over night and then dip them in a star-san solution right before bottling.
I bake mine in an oven at 340f for an hour. No ill effects.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #27
jmuman703
Recipes 

Interesting. Maybe I'll bake them next time. I'm really just looking for the fastest but most effective way of sanitizing bottles. As I said earlier though, the beer is already resting in its bottles. Now is the time to be keepin those fingers crossed I don't end up with bottle bombs!

Quick Reply