New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
jmuman703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey everyone thanks again for all the great ideas and advice. The sanitizer I use is called one step and it's a no rinse cleaner. But ok, I think I will use a dish washer and just let the bottles air dry (just turn off the washer prior to the dryin phase). I'm super excited! Tomorrow is the day.

Also, random side question, my beer is a hefeweizen and it has been in primary for 18 days (19 by bottling day). It has been kept at a constant 69 degrees throughout that time. However, it still burps every 5 or so minutes. Is it still safe to bottle. I too a gravity reading last Sunday and it was right around where it should be. I'm going to take another tomorrow. I guess what I am askin is do you think it's safe to bottle then?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I personlly use the following method:

1. Run empty dishwasher on hottest possible setting.

2. Fill bottling bucket halfway or so with sanitizer solution.

3. Dunk as many cleaned bottles in as I can fit in the bucket - this ensures plenty of contact time.

4. Remove bottles, pour solution back into the bucket, please on countertop.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all bottles are sanitized.

6. Place bottles in dishwasher and run them on a drying cycle.

7. Bottle.

So far, this has worked well.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuman703 View Post
Hey everyone thanks again for all the great ideas and advice. The sanitizer I use is called one step and it's a no rinse cleaner. But ok, I think I will use a dish washer and just let the bottles air dry (just turn off the washer prior to the dryin phase). I'm super excited! Tomorrow is the day.

Also, random side question, my beer is a hefeweizen and it has been in primary for 18 days (19 by bottling day). It has been kept at a constant 69 degrees throughout that time. However, it still burps every 5 or so minutes. Is it still safe to bottle. I too a gravity reading last Sunday and it was right around where it should be. I'm going to take another tomorrow. I guess what I am askin is do you think it's safe to bottle then?
If you're using one-step, you might want to read this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

If the gravity is the same as when you took it on Sunday, then yes. Remember an airlock is NOT a gauge it's a vent. It could be bubbling, because of a change in barometric pressure, change in temp, or the dog tried to have sex with it. ALWAYS go by hydromter not what an airlock is doing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuman703 View Post

Ignore the "burps", they mean nothing but that gas is escaping.

Take gravity readings two days apart (or one reading per day, three days in a row). If they match, fermentation is done, and you can bottle.

I'm a proponent of aging most beers for a bit before I bottle, but it's not at all necessary to do.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 11-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My bottle handling is less complex than this. I clean them well and make a point of rinsing them immediately after pouring. They sit on a shelf or in a box for a while until the next bottling day. Then they go into the dishwasher. I am lucky enough to have a sanitize setting on my dishwasher (stainless steel inside). It does a steam and heat drying cycle that has always worked for me. I put the bottles in on Friday night and put the machine to work. In the morning, the bottles are squeaky clean and cool and ready to receive amber goodness. I've bottled 1000's this way with nary a (bottle-caused) funky beer. I've "funked" some up, for sure, but it wasn't a bottle problem!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
BleacherBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but how do you load the bottles in the oven? I can imagine doing it myself and knocking them all over like bowling pins.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Except when properly dilluted, sanitizer NEVER should "influence" the flavor of your beer.....I've bottled for years with sanitizer, both iodophor and starsan, and never had it affect the taste.

Otherwise sounds like a decent system. It works for you.

Have you considered this instead of dragging out the hose?

That's an awesome attachment. Where would you find such a thing?

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
jmuman703
Recipes 

Ok excellent. I will sanitize and then throw them in the dishwasher. I think that will be the best/easiest way for me to ensure that they are all clean and ready to roll! Gotta say, I feel pretty lucky. It sorta feels like Christmas came a few weeks early. Not to mention they will be ready to drink by Christmas eve!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Jayhem
http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-117-brass-bottle-washer.aspx?gclid=CJCL9IfO-LMCFexAMgodRU8AxA

http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/4800?gclid=CK-Mz4jO-LMCFexAMgodRU8AxA

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/jet-bottle-washer.html

And your LHBS should have them.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider ; Conditioning: Blackberry Melomel, Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: Cider, Vanilla Porter, Blackberry Melomel, In like a Lion RIS

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

With the bottles small openning,I don't think the wash water will get up into the bottles very well.Every few brews I soak'em in PBW for a couple hours,then brush & rinse. Then onto the bottle tree to dry before storage. Otherwise,empty,rinse,scrub,rinse & dry. That way I know the inside of the bottles have been cleaned thoroughly & evenly. Def seems to have cured a carbonation problem I was having.

Quick Reply