Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
jmuman703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling question

Hey all!

Can I wash bottles in a dishwasher or do I need to use sanitizer on each one? I rinsed each beer bottle out so there is no residue that needs to be scrubbed out. This is my first batch so I don't want to blow it!

Thanks for all the advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You can wash them in the dishwasher, but you'll still need to sanitize them just before you put beer in them. Schmutz from the air can get in there and make the nasties. Dishwater, a sprits with a vinator (or squirt bottle if you're poor like me), pour out the excess, and fill.

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
You can wash them in the dishwasher, but you'll still need to sanitize them just before you put beer in them. Schmutz from the air can get in there and make the nasties. Dishwater, a sprits with a vinator (or squirt bottle if you're poor like me), pour out the excess, and fill.
Yes, wash first sanitize second.

For more bottling info check out our sticky.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I found the vinator on Amazon for way cheap so I bought one and use star san just prior to filling and capping each bottle. I run the whole load through the dishwasher to clean them and then sanitize just before I fill them with brew. The sulfiter is a great way to flush each bottle and insire that the bottles are as sanitized as possible too. Good luck and look around because the Vinators have a very broad price range and can be had for very cheap if you look around and shop wisely.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
jmuman703
Recipes 

Very cool ok I will do that then. I will wash then sanitize. Does the sanitizer need to sit in the bottles or can I just dunk, fill, and empty?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I wouldn't use a dishwasher, personally. I know some do, but I think the glass that bottles are made of aren't heat-treated, so the extreme temps in a dishwasher might degrade the volumes of pressure that they can hold over time. Then again, I might just be paranoid. I usually just bathe them in oxyclean for a couple of hours/over night and then dip them in a star-san solution right before bottling.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuman703 View Post
Very cool ok I will do that then. I will wash then sanitize. Does the sanitizer need to sit in the bottles or can I just dunk, fill, and empty?
If you're using a wet contact, no rinse sanitizer like starsan or iodophor dunking and draining is fine, though a vinator as mentioned is more convenient and faster.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Depends which sanitizer you are using...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Consider my method, easy and effective and no slippery, wet bottles to drop while filling!

1. Soak all bottles in a tub of oxyclean and water (I soak overnight)

2. Rinse each bottle one by one in an assembly line with garden hose or sink (I use a helper to hand me bottles 2 at a time and it only takes me about 10 minutes to rinse 110 bottles! )

3. Drain bottles upside down for 10 minutes on bottle tree or on clean dishwasher racks

4. Set bottles in oven at 190F for 20 minutes to sanitize and dry

5. As soon as the bottles are cool enough to handle you can bottle.

No slippery bottles, no sanitizer influencing the flavor of your beer. I've bottled around 1,200 bottles this way and never had a single issue.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
...no sanitizer influences the flavor of your beer.
Except when properly dilluted, sanitizer NEVER should "influence" the flavor of your beer.....I've bottled for years with sanitizer, both iodophor and starsan, and never had it affect the taste.

Otherwise sounds like a decent system. It works for you.

Have you considered this instead of dragging out the hose?

Quick Reply