Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottling question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
elmiguel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottling question

Hello all,

I bought several 1 litter bottles for my beer.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30213552/

This is the first time I use glass and not plastic so I am a bit worried about having some of the bottles exploding .
FErmentation has been going on for 4/5 weeks already so thats should be enough.

The questions is how many cm I should leave without beer on the top of the bottle and if I should be very careful with the amount of sugar. I have coopers drops which should be for only 0.75, shall that be enough?

Thanks a lot!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

If the bottle neck had a label, you would fill it to just the bottom of that label. I'd worry more about skunking with those bottles.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Nice! Unless you are going to keep the bottles in a dark place most of the time, I would spray paint the bottles a solid color up to the neck.

I use (and reuse) flip top bottles and it seems to me they can take more pressure than regular bottles/caps.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1086 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Leave about 2.5cm from the very top and you should be fine. Did you check if those bottles were meant to handle the pressure of carbonation? I would keep them in a rubbermaid tub with a lid to prevent skunking and contain shards if you end up with bombs.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Geordan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm going to have to second OClair's thoughts here -- I would be very surprised if these bottles were rated to safely hold pressure. Though I'm not sure about Norway, I know it's relatively simple -- and seemingly less expensive, at the 2.50 Euro shown on the Ikea site -- to buy proper brown swingtop bottles from an LHBS or bottle supplier in North America. I would be very cautious using the Ikea bottles if you go forward with them -- the rubbermaid tub is an excellent idea.

Quick Reply