Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
hockeygreg44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bottling Question

I am going to bottle my first batch of beer tomorrow morning so I decided to get a head start on cleaning and sanitizing my bottles. I clean/de-labeled them in b-brite and I am running them in the dishwasher right now. I heard that if you are not going to use the bottle right away that you should cover them in plastic wrap. Is this step necessary? I am planning on rinsing the bottles again in sanitizing solution right before I fill them. Any advice???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you're going to sanitize them anyway on brew day you don't really need to cover them. You can but it's not necessary.

Don't forget to check my bottling stickey!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

After recycling bottles with PBW solution,They get rinsed & hung on my bottle tree to dry. I then store them in covered boxes till needed. Then I fill the vinator half full of star-san & give each bottle 5 pumps. Then back onto the tree & start filling/capping.
So yes,you can Clean,rinse,& dry them whenever. Then sanitize with star-san right before use.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
catalyst156
Recipes 

If you're relying on the dishwasher to actually clean the interior of the bottles, you would be wise to plan another round of washing. The mouths are too small to get much water in the bottles -- much less clean them.

Nothing beats a bottle brush and some elbow grease.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Ive gotten into the habit of rinsing mine well right after use, this way cleaning/sanitizing on bottling day is quick and easy.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I rinse out my bottles right after I empty the beer out of them. If there's one that doesn't rinse clean, chuck it. I don't think I've ever scrubbed out the inside of a bottle. No need. Sanitize before refilling.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
ReverendTenHigh
Recipes 

if your bottles are clean, the dishwasher will do. just leave it shut till you bottle. i clean my bottles and set them in my dirty ass basement then just fill a bucket with iodophor and dunk em for about 2 mins before emptying them and filling them. no problems.

Primary: Petite Saison d'Ete (Bretted), Good Tennis Red IPA
Secondary: Saison, Belgian Strong Dark, Sour Graff (on Cherries), Flander's Red, The Screeching Locust Sour Rye Brown
Bottled: Butternut Autumn Ale, Groundhog's Shadow 2010-2011, Boil Order Imperial Porter
Kegged: Third Eye Pale Ale, Orange Wheat
http://reverendtenhigh.blogspot.com for all my brews and views (Needs updating)

Quick Reply