Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling? (priming sugar)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Creepersale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottling? (priming sugar)

How much sugar do you add to prime your bottles ( 12oz ) ? And maybe min- max the least that would work and the most be still in safe range??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Depends on the level of carbonation you want.

Default is 5 oz of dextrose by weight for 5 gallons, but there are table designed to give you volumes co2/gallon/oz of priming sugar.

Better yet, just Google priming sugar calculator, and choose one.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

It generally excepted that bulk priming is the best,most consistent way of adding priming sugar to the beer. Get a bottling bucket,& use one of the free priming calculators online. Like at tastybrew.com. And get a cheap scale at walmart to weigh the priming sugar,since that's how the amounts are given. Then boil maybe 2C of water,take it off the heat,& stir in the sugar. Cool it down a bit & pour it into the bottling bucket. Use some tubing on the fermenter spigot,or an autosiphon to rack the beer onto the sugar with the tubing in the bottom of the bottling bucket so it doesn't splash.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Creepersale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok thanks. But righ now I just have a bottling bucket. So I used my bottling bucket as my primary and let it set more then a week after fermentation was finished. So im I guess I'm going to bottle condition. But don't have a second bucket. I'm going to prim individual bottles. So was wondering how much per 12 oz bottle.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just add the priming solution to the bucket you have! Any sediment that gets into the bottles will settle out after conditioning!

I would highly recommend bulk priming, pour in your weighed amount of sugar (4.75oz - 5.0oz or so) to 2 cups of water, boil~ 8-19 min. add this to your beer, stir gently for about 3-4 minutes. While you get your bottles ready a lot of the sediment will settle out anyway.

Single bottle priming can be very tedious and inconsistent but if you have to:
5 gallons is ~640oz which s/b ~53 bottles.
5.0oz of sugar is ~140gm
140gm divided by 53 is ~2.6gm per bottle!

Just rough numbers!

Good luck

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If you truly want to do it per bottle (not recommended) then you might consider carbonation drops.

I would just go to Home Depot, buy a 5 gallon bucket and bulk prime....even if you racked twice to be able to use your spigot you are better off....just be very gentle during racking.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Just add the priming solution to the bucket you have! Any sediment that gets into the bottles will settle out after conditioning!

I would highly recommend bulk priming, pour in your weighed amount of sugar (4.75oz - 5.0oz or so) to 2 cups of water, boil~ 8-19 min. add this to your beer, stir gently for about 3-4 minutes. While you get your bottles ready a lot of the sediment will settle out anyway.

Single bottle priming can be very tedious and inconsistent but if you have to:
5 gallons is ~640oz which s/b ~53 bottles.
5.0oz of sugar is ~140gm
140gm divided by 53 is ~2.6gm per bottle!

Just rough numbers!

Good luck
+1, I always bulk prime and bottle staright from my primary and it works fine. Less movement of the beer, less risk of introducing problems imho. I only get extra sediment in the very last bottle and even that always settles out and is as good as any of the other bottles.

Mixing the sugar solution may be a bit more of an issue with this approach so I give it a very gentle stir after pouiring in the sugar solution and leave for at least half an hour to improve my chances of even mixing.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Creepersale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok thanks guys. So if I wanted to I could add my priming sugar to my primary? If I stir lightly I can avoid stirring trub ? And if so what about the Krus ring do I not too worry about restirring that stuff back in?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Creepersale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer
If you truly want to do it per bottle (not recommended) then you might consider carbonation drops.

I would just go to Home Depot, buy a 5 gallon bucket and bulk prime....even if you racked twice to be able to use your spigot you are better off....just be very gentle during racking.
Thanks.! Really like this idea but I'm shy on the extra bucket and a siphon. closest brew shop is over an hour away. But will have both by my next batch ! Cheers. ....

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #10
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepersale View Post
Ok thanks guys. So if I wanted to I could add my priming sugar to my primary? If I stir lightly I can avoid stirring trub ? And if so what about the Krus ring do I not too worry about restirring that stuff back in?
Yep, stir very lightly and you won't disturb trub or krausen ring. Also important not to oxegante which is another reason for stirring very gently.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Quick Reply