Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling - Priming Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
brehuh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottling - Priming Sugar

It is the first time I am bottling beer with my friend. I normally keg so I don't worry about priming sugar. It's been over an hour since I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket and the beer to that.

What I am concerned about is there going to be enough sugar to carb the beer? Do you think some of the sugar would have been converted yet? The beer was probably below room temp since it was on my porch cold crashing. We were waiting for the bottles (They were in the dishwasher). Should I add some more sugar or not worry about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wouldn't worry about it; I don't think that the sugar would be completely fermented in a little over 60 minutes. I would be a little concerned about the sugar settling to the bottom though. I recommend CAREFULLY using a sanitized mash paddle or spoon and stir the beer just to ensure it hasn't all settled. Be very careful to ensure that you do not create any bubbles or oxidize the beer.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would get them in bottles ASAP or at least before Revvy sees this post.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you boil the sugar in a pint of water and cool it before you added it? Sugar goes into solution much better in a hot liquid than a cold one.

You should boil the sugar in water, dump it in your bottling bucket, and rack the beer on top of it. That should get it good and mixed as the beer swirls around.

On the subject of whether your sugar is already fermented. The quick answer is no, it is not. It takes 2 weeks or more for the yeast to consume the sugar and carb up the bottles. In 1 hour they arent doing much. Remember that the yeast have finished their primary jobs and as a whole they are quite weak. They will ferment the priming sugar but much, much slower than the original fermentation.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
brehuh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did boil the water before I added the sugar, I figured it would be fine. I just wanted to double check. Thanks for the quick responses!

Quick Reply