Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling My First Batch Tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
HuffDaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling My First Batch Tonight

So I'm amidst the experience of my first batch of homebrew. It is an English Pale Ale. So far so good. Two nights ago I set up my bottling rig and did a practice run (with water instead of beer). Last night I loaded up my dishwasher and ran my bottles through 2 santizing + high heat cycles. Tonight, I'll be moving everything to bottles and the anticipation is killing me.

Wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Don't sweat it, you will do fine. Remember, you aren't birthing a new baby, just bottling beer. No lives in the balance, so to speak...... You will be OK. Good luck.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
HuffDaddy
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm not TOO worried. The practice run went extremely smooth, so I expect the same tonight.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

measure your priming sugar carefully....

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
AmberChris
Recipes 

I feel you buddy!! I have my first brew in bottles sittin in my closet. I have 2 weeks left till drink day and I'm extremely anxious to see how I did. Good Luck!!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
HuffDaddy
Recipes 

"measure your priming sugar carefully...."

Would you mind expanding on this? I am working with a pre-measured kit, so I planned on using whatever amount of sugar was included in it. Is there a beer to prime ratio I need to be wary of?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
fatinma
Recipes 

don't even think about opening one of those beers for 3 weeks. The wait will be worth it.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Good luck, and smart thinking doing a wet run before hand...

And if you haven't already read some of the tips that me and a few other people put in my bottling tips thread...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

You may find an idea or two to make in uber comfortable or effortless...

I find basic brewing podcasts to be the perfect backdrop to my bottling days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-22-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
KDM
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled for the first time ever nine days ago. I read and reread Revvy's and other related threads here, and then practiced with water first as you have done (excellent idea!). Everything went smoothly and I actually found the process enjoyable. I used the packet of sugar that came with my kit with nary a thought as to measuring it.

Last night I popped one open. I know I ought to wait three weeks for best taste or whatever, but I really want to know first hand what it's like at bottling time, then at one week, two weeks, etc. (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). This one opened with a nice little pffffft! and produced a head in the glass readily. It tasted okay but not spectacular, but at any rate was probably the most satisfying beer I can remember because of its origin. I understand it really isn't fully carbonated at this point, but wouldn't have known if not told.

Cheers, Kurt

Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
"measure your priming sugar carefully...."

Would you mind expanding on this? I am working with a pre-measured kit, so I planned on using whatever amount of sugar was included in it. Is there a beer to prime ratio I need to be wary of?
in my case the bag of corn sugar wasnt labeled well enough for me to understand what to do so i took out a dry measure cup and filled it up not knowing that i needed to really pack it down to get the right amount. that stuff is real fluffy and i used about 50% of what i should have. not to mention my final amount was more like 4.5gal so i was going to use slightly less than the 5oz. anyway.....just a note of caution.

Quick Reply