The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Mr.Beer after 7 days and letting the rest sit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
SudsItUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I guess I never really thought of using the spigot (duh). I'll have to go pick up a hydrometer from my local brew store.

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half." - Jeff Cooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would consider bottling in a soda bottleor one ofthe PET bottles you can get from Mr Beer. That way you limit some of the potential maiming action of bottle bombs.

I think you will find that there is a lot of yeast sediment, and it will taste more harsh than is you let it sit for a while longer. I will never discourage someone from experimenting and finding out for yourself though.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Let us know how it turns out. I didn't bottle my Mr. Beer batch until 2 weeks in the fermenter. I've got about 2 1/2 weeks to go before I'm even going to put one in the fridge. So, I'm almost a month from my first glass. However, I poured about a 2 oz sample from the dregs of the keg and it actually didn't taste too bad. Like beer, flat beer, but beer nonetheless.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Parks,
Thanks. I am leaning toward taking a sample from the spigot as well.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #15
bsheehan
Recipes 

I know it is a little late but, I just joined the site. I have my first batch in the bottles right now. I took a sample from the spigot at 7 days and tasted it. It was a little sweet so, i let it go for 4 more days. What a difference in taste! It also was quite a bit more clear. I don't know if that will translate to the conditioned beer or not. It actually tasted pretty good. I am excited to see what the finished beer tastes like.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
SudsItUp
Recipes 

It's been about two and a half weeks since I started my Mr. Beer batch. I bottled one bottle after the minimum of 7 days and let it carbonate for the minimum of 7 days. Then I put it in the fridge for about 3 days. The result was a very carbonated beer with a harsh taste (although it did taste like beer and there was alcohol in it). The original fermentation has been fermenting at a constant temp. of 68 degrees as well as the carbonating beer. I am going to wait till the end of the week to bottle the rest of my beer and i am going to let it carbonate for around a week and a half to two weeks. I'll report back as to how those turned out.

However, I think that I am going to come to the ultimate conclusion that letting the beer ferment and carbonate longer will be better. I will keep you guys posted.

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half." - Jeff Cooper

Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
SudsItUp
Recipes 

I just drank my first bottle after two weeks of conditioning and it tasted better than the first bottle yet it still had subtle overtones of the original harsh flavor that the first bottle had. I think that I need to let the beer condition for another week or two.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #18
BrewInATL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

3 weeks primary fermenter.
3 weeks bottle conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Because I was fortunate enough to have 255 colors in my crayola box as a kid. You poor bastard.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
boxerbrew
Recipes 

Beer has been being made for centuries in old rock castles where they didn't have fancy sanitizer and hydrometers. Who knows what kind of beer they made though. Hydrometers are cheap though, so it's a good idea to get one. However, you can make due in the mean time by tasting the beer and seeing how sweet it is. If it is sweet, it's not done yet.

Quick Reply