Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Mr.Beer after 7 days and letting the rest sit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
SudsItUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Mr.Beer after 7 days and letting the rest sit?

I asked this question in the Mr.Beer thread, yet, I wonder if anyone else has any suggestions that have used Mr.Beer.

I am on day seven of fermentation and I was wondering if I could bottle just one bottle then let the rest sit for another week. The reason I want to do this is because it is my first Mr.Beer batch and I want to taste the difference between beer that was bottled after the minimum recomended fermentation period versus letting the beer ferment for another week.

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half." - Jeff Cooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The beauty of homebrewing is that you can do what ever you want. Go for it. Just be sure that it is done fermenting or you could create a bottle bomb.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
SudsItUp
Recipes 

Yeah, that is the nice thing about home brewing. The only reason I ask is because Mr.Beer doesn't allow for a hydrometer. Since it's my first batch, not one of the countless batches that I have helped my friend with, I will try it and see how it works

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half." - Jeff Cooper

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
SudsItUp
Recipes 

F**k it. It's my first batch so I'll do it anyway. If anything it will be either a learning exprience or a good science project!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Report back in this thread with the results of your test once you've concluded it. That way others may benefit from your experience.

Experimentation is fun, by the way. I highly recommend it.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
SudsItUp
Recipes 

No worries. I will. I guess a few micros and some liquid courage goes a long way!

Yet, I would not necessarily recomend drunk courage to anyone...use with extreme caution!

Report of this experiment due in 7-14 days.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Parks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsItUp View Post
The only reason I ask is because Mr.Beer doesn't allow for a hydrometer.
Huh? I use a hydrometer with my Mr. Beer fermenters. Why couldn't you?

I would either make 100% sure fermentation was complete with a hydrometer reading, or I would wrap the bottle in a plastic bag, put it in a box, and leave it somewhere that you wouldn't mind getting beer all over.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mr. Beer and taking hydrometer readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Huh? I use a hydrometer with my Mr. Beer fermenters. Why couldn't you?

I would either make 100% sure fermentation was complete with a hydrometer reading, or I would wrap the bottle in a plastic bag, put it in a box, and leave it somewhere that you wouldn't mind getting beer all over.

How are taking your sample? Are you opening the lid, or using the spigot? I am on my first batch (Day 11) and am considering taking a hydrometer reading as well.

Thanks.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Parks
Recipes 

I use the spigot to pour a sample into a vial barely big enough to use a hydrometer with.

I suppose it gives a small chance of infection in doing so (I've never had a problem with it), but its certainly less than the chance of opening it up and using a sterilized wine thief/baster. Opening the lid would also risk oxidation if you shook the fermenter around a little bit.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hydrometers are cheap, and you will need one eventually anyway. They make a good investment (until you drop them).

Quick Reply