Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling into growlers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Revvy's #7 post sums it all up pretty well!

That being said and to those that keep insisting they do it with no issue, to each their own, if you elect to use growlers then go ahead and do so at your own risk but DON'T sit here on this site telling people it's a fine practice because it is NOT and people can get injured due to your ignorance. If you choose to injure yourself, fine but don't put other people in harms way. For every 1 ding dong that says they do it with no problem there are more posts questioning why their growler exploded!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
Why would a mason jar, or pickle jar be any less capable? Because all glass isn't made the same.
And THOSE, as most of us know, are meant to hold a vacuum, NOT outward pressure.

The ONLY safe alternative to a glass bottle ( not to mention stainless beer bottles, and a keg of course) is a plastic soda bottle. Whereas an industry standard glass bottle can hold no more than 3 volumes of co2, a pet soda or beer bottle can hold up to 10 volumes. If for whatever reason you don't want to bottle in glass beer bottles, save your pop bottles and use them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Revvy's #7 post sums it all up pretty well!

That being said and to those that keep insisting they do it with no issue, to each their own, if you elect to use growlers then go ahead and do so at your own risk but DON'T sit here on this site telling people it's a fine practice because it is NOT and people can get injured due to your ignorance. If you choose to injure yourself, fine but don't put other people in harms way. For every 1 ding dong that says they do it with no problem there are more posts questioning why their growler exploded!
And besides the safety risk, if it blows, you've just wasted a 1/2 gallon of beer you spent time and money on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
The fix is ghetto growlers,,,,, AKA carbonated water bottles of your size and choice.. Dump out the water, sterilize and fill up.

now Git R Dun
No! Mix the carbonated water with fruit juice and sugar and give it to the kiddies instead of Coke!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #25
bombcar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want to do this, why not use stainless steel growlers?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

They've just started to hit the market.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
I walk across the street all the time without getting hit by a car....mayb todays the day?
Man, are you serious!! I dont give a damn if the OP does bottles, cans, growlers, or gatorare bottles, all I said was i have a friend who has only used growlers. To be more specific for the past 12 years!!!! Hundreds of batches and never had one pop. maybe today is the day thats someones bottle will break too but thats not a good reason to stop using them is it?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #28
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
Man, are you serious!! I dont give a damn if the OP does bottles, cans, growlers, or gatorare bottles, all I said was i have a friend who has only used growlers. To be more specific for the past 12 years!!!! Hundreds of batches and never had one pop. maybe today is the day thats someones bottle will break too but thats not a good reason to stop using them is it?
My grandpa smoked until he was 95! Never got cancer!!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
It has been pretty well established here that growlers were not designed to be used for bottle-conditioning beer. That said, there will always be someone who doesn't care if they were or not. Maybe they will wind up as an entry in the Darwin Awards website, and maybe they won't.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

For the record.

The only time to use growlers is if and only if you say this right before you do it.

"Hold my beer and watch iss".......

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply