The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling conditioning - does it help to swirl bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Default Bottling conditioning - does it help to swirl bottles?

So I was thinking about bottle conditioning....

I know that after carbonation the yeasties eat up the esters and other nasties that cause some of the fruity/bitter off flavors in beer.

Well, wouldn't it help the yeast do that if you were to swirl the bottles maybe once a week to rouse up that yeast layer sitting on the bottom of each bottle?

Makes sense to me but I'm just thinking out loud.

Thoughts?

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I swirl or shake the bottles usually a couple times a week. I think it helps

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I've really never needed to. And the only time I've ever recommended it is if the temp of the beer has dropped below the yeast's dormancy level, if the bottles got too cold. I've recommended folks get the beer back up to carbing temps and swirl the bottles to re-rouse the yeast.

But any yeast that has fallen during a NORMAL carbonation period, has dropped because they've done their job, not because they've collapsed prematurely or anything.

I honestly believe that yeast don't really need our help to do their jobs.....they do it just fine without us hovering over it, or "helping" them. I don't liked to be interrupted doing my job, and don't want help unless I ask for it. I kinda figure the yeast are pretty much the same way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

But any yeast that has fallen during a NORMAL carbonation period, has dropped because they've done their job, not because they've collapsed prematurely or anything.
This is what confuses me. How do yeast stay in suspension during fermentation when gravity is pulling them down? I have a hard time believing that all the yeast just float around in suspension fat and happy and then when the sugar is eaten they just fall out and go dormant? I would think that if they can fall and go dormant at all that many of them fall out of suspension even during active fermentation

I've swirled my fermenter as fermentation has started to taper off and it started back up at a higher rate for awhile.

IF yeast do drop out of suspension after eating up all the sugars then how do they benefit your beer by extended bottle conditioning if they are all just sitting in a white layer on the bottom?

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

They're swimming. It is convection. Yeast don't have flagella, they have buds. But fermentation creates quite a bit of heat so what you see are hot currents rising tothe top, cooling off and sinking back down.

Just because you can't necessarily see it, doesn't mean it's not happening both in your fermenter or in the bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Perhaps in bottle conditioning where there no appreciable heat being generated it takes longer for the yeast to clean up the esters because it takes longer for them to make contact in a less convection active environment. I think swirling the bottles has to help them process these chemicals faster by keeping them all in suspension longer. I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't hurt anything.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

It's not really helping swirling the bottles during normal conditioning temps. The yeast eat the sugar,absorb any off flavor producers,& settle to the bottom. So you're really just stiring them up after they've absorbed the bad stuff after the sugars. Just leave them be,you really don't need to help them by playing mad scientist. They honestly don't need to be helped to know what to do.
I think one of the other big things noobs need to learn is that WE make the wort,THEY make everything else. As long as we provide the right temps & environment,they need no help from us. We just have to learn to trust the process. It doesn't need constant fumbling at all. It doesn't need us to be involved.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Can't say I haven't wondered this, though. I have some bottles right now that are about 12 days old and have settled yeast in the bottoms, a decent bit. At least I'm guessing it's mostly yeast although I suppose it could be some trub? It's white and quite noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

Mostly yeast dregs after carbonation/conditioning. Maybe some small bit of stuff from chill haze settling out,if there was any from fridge time.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

To the OP; If you swirl the yeast up you'll get cloudy beer. Try an experiment: swirl half a batch of bottles accordoing to whatever schedule makes sense to you. Leave the other half alone. put them in 6pack racks in pairs, and taste them in pairs to see if/when a difference is apparent. Good excuse to brink more beer !!!

Quick Reply