Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottling cold crashed beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanselv View Post
Regarding bottling cold, don't forget beer hold more CO2 when it is cold and you will not need as much priming sugar as you would for a batch at 65F. This I have learned from experience. Here is a bottle priming calculator that works very well. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
So, would you use the higher or lower temp if you're bottling cold (from crashing) but then allowing the bottles to return to room temp?

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoHomeBrewMafia View Post
After reading through this I have an additional question....if he warms it to room temp, you guys say that would be defeating the purpose.....are you implying that the protiens that fell out of the solution would rise?
I don't think it's possible for the proteins to rise without significant agitation. Since the beer is being moved cold and allowed to warm up in the spot it will be racked from this shouldn't be the case. If it were than the proteins would be agitated regardless of letting it warm up or just moving it and racking right after moving.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

CF- this is what I have always thought...carefully out of the fridge to the spot on my counter that it will be racked from, then bottle 24 hours later at ambient (68-72) temps.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
So, would you use the higher or lower temp if you're bottling cold (from crashing) but then allowing the bottles to return to room temp?
I would calculate the priming amounts at the final fermentation temp. After fermentation is ceased no more co2 is produced to be absorbed at cooler temps.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
I would calculate the priming amounts at the final fermentation temp. After fermentation is ceased no more co2 is produced to be absorbed at cooler temps.
Correct. That is what I do. Not necessarily the final fermentation temperature, but the highest temperature that the beer was at in the fermenter. Lowering the temperature after fermentation is finished won't really cause more carbonation- although the co2 in there is "held" and not released as much, it's not producing any either.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Fermentation temperature is really not important at bottling time. Use the temperature of the beer when you bottle. If you cold crashed your beer to 34 and then raised it to ambient temperature of 78 your CO2 levels will be different. At 34 the beer will hold more CO2 than at 78. Also if your highest fermentation temp was 62 you will have less CO2 in your beer at 78 than you did at 62.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoHomeBrewMafia View Post
CF- this is what I have always thought...carefully out of the fridge to the spot on my counter that it will be racked from, then bottle 24 hours later at ambient (68-72) temps.
When you let the temperature rise the yeast that is still in suspension comes out of its dormant stage and has the possibility of effecting the clarity of the beer by stirring up trub. Probably not to any great extent, but there is no reason not to bottle cold and let the bottles raise to room temperature for carbonation. Just my crazy theory, but I'm stick'in to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanselv View Post
Fermentation temperature is really not important at bottling time. Use the temperature of the beer when you bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Correct. That is what I do. Not necessarily the final fermentation temperature, but the highest temperature that the beer was at in the fermenter. Lowering the temperature after fermentation is finished won't really cause more carbonation- although the co2 in there is "held" and not released as much, it's not producing any either.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The first one you bottle will be cold, the last one will be warm. I bet a month from now you won't be able to tell the difference.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Quick Reply