Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling with chai spices?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
fightingfreuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottling with chai spices?

Bottling an amber next weekend, wanted to try adding Chai tea to get some interesting spice flavor and aroma. Only want to try this for a gallon or so. Was thinking I should bottle the other 4 gallons, then make a chai tea with priming sugar to use on the remaining gallon. Any other ideas for this or potential problems doing it this way? I guess my other option would be bottle 4 now, add the chai to the carboy and bottle the rest in another week or so......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the tea has no fermentable sugars, you can do it all at the same time.

Move all the beer into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Bottle what you want (without the tea), then add the tea to the remaining beer in the bottling bucket.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any ideas on how much to add per gallon? Is vodka extraction/ buying bottled extract a safer bet than the packaged "tea?"

Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The best bet would to be finding only the spices without the tea because of the astringency that tea can add. That said, I'm brewing a dunkelweizen with chai right now and I couldn't find the chai spices anywhere reasonable. I found a store that sold quality loose leaf tea that I have used. I wouldn't use cheap bag tea to add to beer because it's usually crappy quality and really astringent. I brewed 1oz of loose tea according to the temp and time recommended for tea by the store in a French press (about 12oz water) and added that at flameout for 5 gallons. I plan on adding more made the same way to taste when I keg it in a few weeks.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ended up getting a cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, cardamom, and ginger root. currently soaking in vodka for an extract, no idea how the flavors will turn out and took a shot in the dark in terms of ratios

Quick Reply