Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Jack-A-Roe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling bucket

Has anyone used some other type of container to bottle from? I've started a second batch of IPA and don't have and extra pail to use. Home brew store is closed today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Go to the hardware store an get a white or clear painter's bucket...one of the 5 dollar homedepot specials, you can mount a spigot and you are golden. Don't get the HD orange one's though.

You can see mine is a hardware store bucket...You can also see if your chinese restaraunt has any soysauce buckets or the bakery has any frosting pales....but really a hardware store bucket is fine...the owner of my lhbs walked next door to the hardware store and grabbed it for me. Some hardware stores even carry plastic spigots as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Jack-A-Roe
Recipes 

Heading to home depot now. Where would they keep the spigots at?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-A-Roe View Post
Heading to home depot now. Where would they keep the spigots at?

That I couldn't tell you...I know someone on here got theirs in the camping section of a big box store like walmart...maybe go there instead..

Oh, one thing, do get the lid for the bucket even if it is a couple bucks more...I kinda regret not getting it when I was there...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Jack-A-Roe
Recipes 

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always just use saran wrap on the op of my bottling bucket. Has the added advantage of being able to hold the siphon hose inside while the bucket is still covered

Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I always just use saran wrap on the op of my bottling bucket. Has the added advantage of being able to hold the siphon hose inside while the bucket is still covered
After dumping several ounces of beer the first time I lifted my full bucket up, I found out that a heavy corning glass pot lid fits on my bucket nicely.

One more thing Jack....All 5 gallon buckets are not the same...look for one that actually is a little larger than 5 gallons (even though it says 5 gallons on it) the one you want will usually say something like "5 gallon mark is third line from the top" or "5 gallons is 3 inches from top of bucket."

You need some room....

Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Don't get the HD orange one's though.
Out of curiosity, why not?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup View Post
Out of curiosity, why not?
Leaching of the dye...

Quick Reply