Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling, bottling, bottling..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
tmautobody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling, bottling, bottling..

I work at a bar and want to try and make my own beer (not to resale). We throw away tons of glass liquor bottles, Jack and the like. After I brew, and ferment, can i bottle in these if i sanitize them correctly? My friend, who gave me the crazy idea of brewing for fun, says that the shape of the beer bottles is important to the flavor. I'd just use old beer bottles but we don't have any that aren't screw tops. I'm going to start fermenting with my own recipe, risky, but i wanna try it, as soon as my hops and barley get here in the mail.. Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmautobody View Post
I work at a bar and want to try and make my own beer (not to resale). We throw away tons of glass liquor bottles, Jack and the like. After I brew, and ferment, can i bottle in these if i sanitize them correctly? My friend, who gave me the crazy idea of brewing for fun, says that the shape of the beer bottles is important to the flavor. I'd just use old beer bottles but we don't have any that aren't screw tops. I'm going to start fermenting with my own recipe, risky, but i wanna try it, as soon as my hops and barley get here in the mail.. Thanks guys!
sure, that's what most of us use. beer bottles that we just re-used after drinking said nectar of the gods out of. soak em in oxyclean/pbw and use a bottle brush to clean them out. then use something like Starsan to sanitize and you're good to go.

and you can't use twist off bottles to bottle. traditional bottle cappers won't cap them. you need pry off bottles, or grolsch bottles.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
tmautobody
Recipes 

No twist caps, but boos bottles are okay. And another question since I finally have people to ask, is it okay if the fermentor is stored where its closer to eighty degrees?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
No twist caps, but boos bottles are okay. And another question since I finally have people to ask, is it okay if the fermentor is stored where its closer to eighty degrees?
you could do a saison at those temps but you'll make other ales with some really nasty off flavors. best temps are BEER temps ranging in the 60's. best way to get around that issue is the swamp cooler technique or a dedicated brew fridge with a thermostat

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
tmautobody
Recipes 

I can put it in the basment. Its one o six outside in the days but its still a nice sixty five in the basement. Any other tips for a beginner?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
I can put it in the basment. Its one o six outside in the days but its still a nice sixty five in the basement. Any other tips for a beginner?
65 isn't bad. however remember that fermentation will be 5-10 degrees hotter than the ambient temps so you beer could get as hot as 75 degrees in 65 degree ambient. that's not that bad but you still might wanna invest in a rope tub and toss a frozen water bottle in there every once in a while or just put a wet t-shirt around it and turn a fan on. that'll drop the temps enough to get mid to high 60's for ferm temps.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Beer bottles are made to withstand the pressure of carbonation. You need recappable bottles. Booze and wine bottles will not do; they will break (explode) when carbonated. A cheap plastic soda bottle with the twist cap can be used and will hold the pressure when the beer is primed for carbonation. Your basement in the mid 60s would be good for most home brew fermentation temps. Bottles with pop tops are still in use, you just have to look around. Carona, Ginnus, Harp, are a few. Enjoy

Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I don't think the booze bottles will hold the carbonation. I doubt you can get a good seal with the screw on caps and they may explode if you manage to get a seal. Also, light is bad for beer and most liquor bottles are clear.

Oh, and the shape of the bottle doesn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The shape really doesn't matter, but the material does. To echo earlier advice, liquor and wine bottles aren't designed to withstand the amounts of pressure exerted from carbonating. You're really limited to beer or champagne bottles. Just pick up some New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Boulevard (since they apparently just switched to pry off caps. Hallelujah!), or the like. Drink, rinse, sanitize, fill, cap, wait, repeat. Simple as that.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1644

In my experience,ferment temps do not go 5-10 degrees higher.I've measured them at more like 2-3 degrees higher than ambient temp. But wet tee shirts & a 12" turbo fan can take that couple degrees off.
Most craft beers,including imports like Paulaner & Franziskaner have pop top bottles. The German bottles are more like amber brown,some with a touch of green as well. And those German bottles always seem to carbonate well.
Dito with Sam Adams' bottles. And the SA bottles have a bulge in the neck that prevents that "glub glub" when you're trying to pour without disturbing the trub layer at the bottom. Michelobe still has pop tops as well,& the ring at the base of the neck makes them look like the old fused neck bottles of yore. I think they're cool.

Quick Reply