The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling the Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
makingitgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling the Beer

well in about 6 days i will be Bottling my Beer, should i fill the bottles and then add sugar or should i add sugar then fill the bottles up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Put about two cups + of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and disolve the corn sugar into the water. Put back on the heat and bring back to a boil for a 5 minutes or so. Let cool to 80ish degrees then add to your wort in the bottling bucket. Bottle and enjoy.

Last edited by Desert_Sky; 06-19-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I add 2 cup of water into a pan with the sugar and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover till it cools, then pitch into your bottling bucket and fill. Enjoy!

Old 06-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingitgood
well in about 6 days i will be Bottling my Beer, should i fill the bottles and then add sugar or should i add sugar then fill the bottles up?
This is a great sight, lots of people willing to help out newbies and give great information. Unfortunately you’ve been ignoring the best piece of advice that has been given on this board, and you’ve ignored it several times.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

This online book can answer almost all of your questions, including the basic step-by-step ‘How Do I…’ questions of the brewing process. The above link goes direct to the bottling section.

This forum is a great knowledge base for us newbies, but don’t abuse it…follow the link above and try a little research first, and if that doesn’t help THEN ask away.

Good luck with your brew!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

A couple other bottling tips:

1. Get help. Bottling is the one and only stage of brewing that I don't enjoy and maybe even prefer doing alone. One or more assistants maks bottling much less tedious.

2. Use the dishwasher, both as a drying rack for your sanitized bottles, and as a bottling shelf. Put the bucket on the couter, open the dishwasher, and fill bottles on the open door. The bottles are right there in the dishwasher and cleaning up the inevitable drips and spills is a snap.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
A couple other bottling tips:

1. Get help. Bottling is the one and only stage of brewing that I don't enjoy and maybe even prefer doing alone. One or more assistants maks bottling much less tedious.

2. Use the dishwasher, both as a drying rack for your sanitized bottles, and as a bottling shelf. Put the bucket on the couter, open the dishwasher, and fill bottles on the open door. The bottles are right there in the dishwasher and cleaning up the inevitable drips and spills is a snap.
I always think I don't enjoy bottling, but I really do enjoy doing it. There's a feeling of seperation I get once the beer is in the bottle because I know that the next time I taste it, it will be cold, bubbly and delicious.

BTW, I use DME for priming. Been using it for quite a while, and have had fantastic results each time.

But, the true most important thing that hasn't been mentioned is this: GIVE IT TWO WEEKS. It's hard to be patient, but if you crack one before hand I guarantee you'll be on this forum asking if you screwed up because it's not carbonated. It generally takes 10 days or more to carbonate, and then the longer you let it sit, the better it will taste.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
But, the true most important thing that hasn't been mentioned is this: GIVE IT TWO WEEKS. It's hard to be patient, but if you crack one before hand I guarantee you'll be on this forum asking if you screwed up because it's not carbonated. It generally takes 10 days or more to carbonate, and then the longer you let it sit, the better it will taste.
Cheese, are you talking about me?

I *had* to take a sample after six days. I'm trying to get my brother into this hobby with me, and I was heading down to his place the next day; if I knew I could bring a tasty sample along, I'm greatly increase my chances of getting a partner in crime.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
artfldodger
Recipes 

That book is a great resource.

A quick question to add here, has anyone had any ill effects from bottling straight from the secondary? Is it even reccomended or does mixing the priming suger in undo all the settling done in the secondary?

Reason I ask is I dont have a bottling bucket and wondering if i should run out and pick up a plain ol bucket before I bottle.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Cheese, are you talking about me?

I *had* to take a sample after six days. I'm trying to get my brother into this hobby with me, and I was heading down to his place the next day; if I knew I could bring a tasty sample along, I'm greatly increase my chances of getting a partner in crime.
In my experience, a corn-sugar-primed beer can be tasted with positive results after a week. It may not be fully carbonated, but it will be sufficiently carbed to have a head and not taste yucky sweet. It will be better after longer, of course.

Two weeks is a good minimum for a DME-carbed beer. Although I just tasted my DME carbed wit after about 11 days last night and it was quite close to being fully carbonated.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artfldodger
That book is a great resource.

A quick question to add here, has anyone had any ill effects from bottling straight from the secondary? Is it even reccomended or does mixing the priming suger in undo all the settling done in the secondary?

Reason I ask is I dont have a bottling bucket and wondering if i should run out and pick up a plain ol bucket before I bottle.
It’s definitely less than ideal. You stir up the stuff you’ve been letting settle for weeks and you may not get the priming sugar (or DME) mixed in thoroughly. I did this once and some bottles did not carbonate completely.

Quick Reply