Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling 6-pack and kegging the rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
hopdigity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling 6-pack and kegging the rest

I'd like to bottle a six packs worth of my latest batch and then keg the rest. I figured out a six pack = 1/2 gal. How much priming sugar should i use for the "bottling bucket?" The recipe says 1/2c corn sugar boiled in 2 pints of water. Since that is for 5 gal can i just divide by 5 gal? I think that would equal 1/2c of the boiled sugar water mix for 1/2 gal of beer. I guess I just need confirmation that this will work and that my math is correct.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Why not carb it all in the keg and then bottle a sixer from that? Easy, no measuring and no/little sediment in the bottles.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally, I'd think it would be much easier to keg first, force carb, then use the BMBF to fill your 6 pack of bottles.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I've done both- kegged the whole batch, and also primed and bottled a sixer and kegged the rest. The easiest way I've found is to prime the whole batch with the regular amount of priming sugar, and then fill the bottles, then fill the keg. Purge the keg with co2 and let sit for two weeks at room temperature. I know they say to use less priming sugar in the keg, but it's not that big of a deal and maybe you'll be a little overcarbed. So, when you hook up the keg to the co2, pull the pressure relief valve and set at the serving pressure.

If you don't want to prime the whole keg, then I'd do what the others said and force carb the keg and then fill the bottles. OR, use carb tabs. Those are a premeasured "dose" of DME and dextrose that are great for priming one bottle at a time. I wouldn't try to figure out how to only use 1/2 gallon of beer, prime that, and fill. That sounds like it'd be a big PITA.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I've done both- kegged the whole batch, and also primed and bottled a sixer and kegged the rest. The easiest way I've found is to prime the whole batch with the regular amount of priming sugar, and then fill the bottles, then fill the keg. Purge the keg with co2 and let sit for two weeks at room temperature. I know they say to use less priming sugar in the keg, but it's not that big of a deal and maybe you'll be a little overcarbed. So, when you hook up the keg to the co2, pull the pressure relief valve and set at the serving pressure.

If you don't want to prime the whole keg, then I'd do what the others said and force carb the keg and then fill the bottles. OR, use carb tabs. Those are a premeasured "dose" of DME and dextrose that are great for priming one bottle at a time. I wouldn't try to figure out how to only use 1/2 gallon of beer, prime that, and fill. That sounds like it'd be a big PITA.
That is the way I do it, and haven't had any issues.
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Another option from the ones given is to get some priming drops/carb tabs...then you can carb your individual bottles without having to calculate the amount of sugar needed for 6 bottles and still keg the rest....And if you do that for all your batches a pack of priming tabs will go a long way. Just seal them in a ziplock baggie.

These are your brand choices,

I can't recommend either becasue I haven't used them, but a lot of people do. You can read some info about how they are used on the prime-tabs site.

Venezia & Company, LLC

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you have a hops scale (postage, whatever - measures small weights accurately) and some sort of precise liquid dispenser (eyedropper, etc.) for small volumes, just use one of the on-line priming calculators that lets you figure the weight of sugar for any volume you enter, boil that up in a small amount of water, and split the small amount of sugar-water 6 ways into the bottles, then fill with beer.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Or buy carb tabs, carb drops, prime-tabs - different names, same basic idea, costs a bit more, easier.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
trainfever
Recipes 

+1 on the carb tablets.

Yes, I am out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
hopdigity
Recipes 

Thanks for everyone's input. While I like the idea of kegging it all then bottling, it seems like there is more opportunity for something to go wrong, plus I am lazy. I may try the tabs. Has anyone had success with them? I guess they dissolve pretty well? Who knows, maybe I will give the "BMBF" a try.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdigity View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. While I like the idea of kegging it all then bottling, it seems like there is more opportunity for something to go wrong, plus I am lazy. I may try the tabs. Has anyone had success with them? I guess they dissolve pretty well? Who knows, maybe I will give the "BMBF" a try.
You never know until you try. I think the carb tabs are a pretty solid product. They've been on the market for quite a while.

I have a Blichmann beer gun and I love it, but the miermuncher thing looks like it'd work too.

Quick Reply