Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
When u guys use it bottling bucket do u just go straight to the spiket or do u have to use the spring loaded wand?

I use a spring loaded wand attached to the bucket so u can easily sit and bottle all 5 gallons at once. Very easy

I only just bottled my first batch and used the spring wand. I thought it made life easier. I'm sure you could just use the spigot as long as you leave enough room in the bottles for carbonation though.

I was mostly worried that the beer hitting bottom of the bucket would aerate it while I was bottling.

I was mostly worried that the beer hitting bottom of the bucket would aerate it while I was bottling.
that is where a helper comes in handy, my wife tips the bucket for me when it gets near the spigot.

The wand fits right onto the spigot on our bucket. A chair and the bucket on the counter or table works great. A short piece of tubing could be used to connect them if needed

It sounds like you've got a spigot on the FV to drain into the bottling bucket. You need a length of tubing to fit the FV spigot to go half way round the bottom of the bottling bucket to rack the beer onto the priming solution. The put bottling bucket on counter,table,whatever to connect the bottling wand to it to bottle away.

bottling wand is one of the greatest inventions ever.

put the wand in the bottle, and fill.

when the bottle fills to the top, and you remove the wand, there is exactly the right amount of airspace at the top of the bottle.

it's so foolproof, even i can do it without making a mess.

also, it leaves the other hand free for drinking

You have to use a bottling wand or a piece of tubing. If you just open the spigot, the beer will splash into the bottle and the goal is instead to fill gently from the bottom without any aeration at all. You want to avoid oxidation at all costs!

When he mentionedthe beer hitting the bottom of the bottling bucket,it made me think he's missing something here. It sounds like he's got a spigot on the fermenter as well,but doesn't know to use a bit of tubing from spigot to bottling bucket bottom. Then the wand to the bottle.

that is where a helper comes in handy, my wife tips the bucket for me when it gets near the spigot.
My wife doesn't want to have anything to do with brewing, so I use an upside down dust pan. If I need more of an angle I just push more of it under the bucket.

Back