Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling at 1.020. Add priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Painter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Bottling at 1.020. Add priming sugar?

I have five gallons of porter that has been been stuck at 1.020 for over two weeks now. The directions said it should finish at 1.012. As another thread suggests, it may be due to it being made from extract, so I think I'm just going to go ahead and bottle. The question is, should I add priming sugar or just bottle without it? I don't want bombs. By the way, the uncarbonated sample that I took for the hydrometer reading tasted pretty good, if a bit sweet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
I have five gallons of porter that has been been stuck at 1.020 for over two weeks now. The directions said it should finish at 1.012. As another thread suggests, it may be due to it being made from extract, so I think I'm just going to go ahead and bottle. The question is, should I add priming sugar or just bottle without it? I don't want bombs. By the way, the uncarbonated sample that I took for the hydrometer reading tasted pretty good, if a bit sweet.
A porter at 1.020 sounds fine. I'd bottle it and call it good! I'd use 4 ounces of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Have you raised the temp of the fermenter to see if it will go down anymore? In order to generate co2 to carb the beer you will need to add sugar. But you have to make sure fermentation is indeed stuck first.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Painter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I raised the temperature and got bubbling, but that stopped two weeks ago when I first got the 1.020 reading. I could probably raise the temperature again (currently is is at about 60) just to sell. I wasn't planning on bottling for a few days.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That will just insure it's not stuck, and is just really finish. Then you can go ahead and prime and bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

60F is a lil low for many ale yeasts ime. Raise it to 65F & swirl up some yeast. It can knock down a couple points in a week. But may take a day to get working again in my observations.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can try to raise the temperature and swirl it, but depending on mash temp. 1.020 could be end.. this is not a strange FG for porters.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Yeah,true. It depends on how much crystal malts & other no-fermentables that the maltster used to make the extract. Also if you put all the malt in at the begining of the boil. That could creat more unfermentables.
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply