Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles not pressuring up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
ruthdrury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottles not pressuring up

Recently, after bottling my homebrew from the ferementer to the clear plastic bottles - and leaving them outside in a fridge - i am noticing that the bottles are not pressuring up.
Has anyone got any suggestions for this?
Haven't had too much problem until just recently - it is cold - winter here in Hobart...What can I do?
Ideas that don't require the use of electricity as am on solar energy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How long ago did you bottle?
When you say they don't "pressure up" does this mean you've opened some and they aren't carbonated?
I store my beer in my basement. Probably a more stable temp than your outdoors.
The local beer store recipes suggest a process called "priming." It involves keeping the recently bottled beer at room temperature for two weeks before storing in a cool place.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Assuming that your bottle conditioning, the fridge may be too cold for the yeast to eat your priming medium and produce CO2, how warm do you usually condition, and how much colder is it where they are now?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
gandalfiii
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They won't carb in the fridge. Store them inside at room temp while they carb up and then stick 'em in the fridge.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Take them out of the fridge, and let them warm back up. Then after a couple days, give them a shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for AT LEAST 3 weeks.

When you put them in the fridge the yeast goes to sleep, warm it up, they wake up and go back to work. You can't carb a beer in the fridge.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
ruthdrury
Recipes 

The fridge is just a storage place,
Thanks , for the replies - I have shaken the ones up in the fridge - they have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks - the bottles are soft to touch, instead of pressured up. I'll try the suggestion to store inside, and see how it goes.
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes, the temperature is getting to 0degrees celcius here - 32 deg f. So, guess that could be the problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthdrury View Post
The fridge is just a storage place,
Thanks , for the replies - I have shaken the ones up in the fridge - they have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks - the bottles are soft to touch, instead of pressured up. I'll try the suggestion to store inside, and see how it goes.
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes, the temperature is getting to 0degrees celcius here - 32 deg f. So, guess that could be the problem.
3 weeks @ 70F is what you need.

Quick Reply