Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles Keep Foaming Over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
ericmunley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottles Keep Foaming Over

I'm having a serious problem. I just bottled my Chocolate Stout about 2 weeks ago and I have been letting them sit. When I open them up, it's like Russian Roulette. Sometimes the bottles open fine, and other times there is uncontrollable foaming. I put the right amount of priming sugar in my bottling bucket, I don't know what is causing this. Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep my already bottled beer from foaming over?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Are the bottles chilled. It's best to let thim sit in the fridge for at least 1 week to help it all settle out.
It's alos possible that your priming sugar was not uniformly mixed in. Can you tell us a little more about your bottling procedure, the ammount of priming sugar you used, and what the final gravity was pre bottling?

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'd actually wait another week, preferably 2 more before chilling them for at least 48 hour but preferably and entire week.

You could be at the "false carbonation" stage where there is Co2 in the headspace and somewhat in the beer,but it hasn't fully gone into solution yet, the carbonation hasn't peaked and leveled off as the gas is absorbed back into the beer....

Also, if you are opening at room temp, then that is probably the real cause. If it was not referigerated when you opened it, that's more than likely why it gushed. It is a good idea to chill them at least 48 hours, preferably a week...this will help pull the co2 back into solution.

I would let them sit at carb temp for another week, then take a couple and chill them for a antoher 3 days or a week...and check those....if they are fine, then chill down and enjoy the rest.

If you check out my post here, you will see a vid that shows exactly what happened to your beer, how the carb hasn't leveld out yet.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1030387-post8.html

Besides it's a stout, most stouts need 4-6 weeks to mellow and condition anyway...

SO quit playing Russian ROullette with your bottles, go brew something else, and let these do what they need to do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
ericmunley
Recipes 

It was my first homebrew...and honestly I didn't take any hydrometer reading (big mistake). My bottling procedure was boiling the amount of sugar in the kit with 2 cups of water, pouring the mixture in my bottling bucket and letting it sit for about a half hour. Then I bottled it. I'm thinking that maybe the priming sugar didn't mix uniformly with the fermented beer, but I don't know how to make it uniform.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
ericmunley
Recipes 

Revvy, I appreciate the help. The beer wasn't opened at room temp...it was refrigerated for about 3 or 4 hours. I do agree though, I think it may need some further refrigeration. Thank you for your help.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You poured the prim sugar solution into already racked beer?
if so next time put the sugar solution into the bottling bucket first then rack the beer onto it, it will mix better. Also you don't have to let it sit you can just bottle away after all the beer is in there...

+1 to all revvy's stuff above too...

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmunley View Post
Revvy, I appreciate the help. The beer wasn't opened at room temp...it was refrigerated for about 3 or 4 hours. I do agree though, I think it may need some further refrigeration. Thank you for your help.
3-4 hours is not a lot of time.....and like I said, also you may be at the early stages of carbontation (like in the video) that's why it's inconsistant from bottle to bottle, the carb hasn't levelled off yet....each bottle is it's own little microsystem. Given enough time they all will reach stasis....

but I still wouldn't even bother openning them til AFTER 3 weeks, not before...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Hell during the winter I am lucky if I get ANY BEER to carb up inn 8 weeks, since my loft stays in the low 60 all winter...I wrap them in sleeping bags and other things to keep them warm.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
ericmunley
Recipes 

I appreciate all the help. Like I said, I'm new at this. I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks and in bottles for 2 weeks like the instructions said. It's been about 2 or 3 weeks since the 2 week bottle conditioning was up. I will put the rest of the bottles in the fridge for a few days and hopefully the problem is figured out. Thank you again Revvy and Greenwood.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
ericmunley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwoodRover View Post
You poured the prim sugar solution into already racked beer?
if so next time put the sugar solution into the bottling bucket first then rack the beer onto it, it will mix better. Also you don't have to let it sit you can just bottle away after all the beer is in there...

+1 to all revvy's stuff above too...
The secondary fermenter was the bottling bucket...so I didn't have much choice as far as what order to put the priming sugar in.

Quick Reply