Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles drying

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Eladaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Bottles drying

Hi,

First, great forum here! I found many tips here for my first batch. Thank you.

My beer was 2 weeks in the fermenter and tomorrow I will transfer it to the bottles. But I am not sure about cleaning/sanitizing, so I need to ask you for help - I am not sure about drying bottles. Do they need to be completly dry, or can I fill them with a few drops of water left (after rinsing sanitizer)?

I know that I have to buy StarSan. But it is not available in my country. I am planning to buy it from UK for a little big price due to shipping, but I believe it's worth it. I also don't have dishwasher, so not too many options of sanitizing for now.

So, today, I cleaned all bottles in hot water with detergent and let them dry. Tomorrow, I am planning to soak them for 5 mins into the solution with the WWP cleaner, which I used during the brewing with a good results. But this is "rinse" sanitizer, so I need to rinse the bottles with water after that. And here is a point where I am not sure - can I fill the bottles right after rinsing (or after a few minutes of letting them upside down on towel)? Or do I need to wait until they are completely dry (but it takes a lot of time, which may cause contamination)?

Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2302 Times on 2003 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Fill them right after rinsing off the sanitizer in this case. Cap asap.
Eladaos Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Da11en47
Recipes 

I use a bottling tree, letting them dry overnight.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Liquid bleach works well. When the bottles dry, the chlorine in the liquid bleach has gone away.

http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26437.pdf

• one tablespoon per gallon of water.
  • Or 4 ml per liter.
  • Contact time is one to five minutes
  • 5% bleach is the "standard" solution on market shelves. Adjust for the actual concentration.

Hey, how do you toast in Czech?

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Eladaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks all for help. Finally, I left them upside down on a towel. It took me a lot of time to sanitize all of them, so when I started filling, the first ones was almost dry, with only few drops of water inside. I think it will be OK, because when I was brewing, I washed my tools by water all the time (sanitized first of course).

Well, I am happy, I finished my first batch and now I can't wait to taste it! In two weeks time, I will celebrate my birthday and I invited a few friends for degustation. I hope they won't be dissapointed

And how do we toast? Usually "Na zdraví!" Also if you are interrested for another language (as I see in your signture), Greeks says "Για μας!"

Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
nickybhoy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi elados, I also had this same issue last week when I did my first bottling session. I sanitized with vwp cleaner and rinsed with water. Used the box that my brew kit came in to allow the bottles to drip dry for an hour then bottled. Another two weeks to wait till I try it, I can't wait!
Second batch is already a week in too

forumrunner_20130210_202120.png

Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Eladaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hi nickybhoy, great, glad to hear that someone is using same steps. And great idea with the box. But clean towel worked for me nicely (except for the fear, that someone will touch the table and all bottles will ...

piv01.jpg  

Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
nickybhoy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice one! Good looking bottles too bud. Hope your brew is good for ye!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Eladaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just want to mention my satisfaction with new setup - bottle tree, vinator and starsan. Because I wash my bottles right after use, I have all of them already cleaned at the bottling day. So, I just only put a few splashes of starsan with vinator to each of them and let them sit on the bottle tree for a while. I am doing this during racking to bottling bucket. Then I am filling them when they are still wet. Easy and fast. Bottling is no more painful. This setup doesn't cost too much for the comfort it offers. Just some storage space for huuuuge bottle tree base HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2302 Times on 2003 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

That's what I've been using for a long time. Sanitize 45 bottles with the vinator on top of my 45 bottle tree. I do this while or right after racking onto priming solution.

Quick Reply