Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles in the Dishwasher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
BrewJr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Bottles in the Dishwasher

Is it advisable to wash the bottles that are going to be used for bottling in the dishwasher? i ran my blue 22 ouncers through a cycle today and they seem to be pretty darn clean! however i cant see down to the micro biological level so maybe its not a sure bet! thought you pros might have a thought about that! thanks! by the way i did a really good looking hibiscus wheat and man does it look great!!

Primary-Hibiscus porter
Secondary-Empty
Bottled-RedHook IPA, ONO Hefeweizen, Germen Pils, BlueBerry Ale, Hawaiiian Summer Ale, Honey Wheat, Hibiscus Wheat, Wheat Bock
Drinking-Longhammer IPA, Dead Guy Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Scrow
Recipes 

I would still sanitize just to be safe.

Primary - Kolsch - Started 04/30/09
Primary - Brown Ale - Started 04/30/09

Bottle Conditioning - India Pale Ale - Started 04/01/09
Bottle Conditioning - Dead Guy Ale clone - Started 04/08/09

Drinking - German Altbier - Started 03/11/09
Drinking - Wheat Beer - Started 03/25/09

Carboy - EdWort's Apfelwine Round 3

Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

they MUST be clean (free of any residue) before the dishwasher can sanitize them it does that by high temperatures not by actually washing the insides of the bottles....

I used the dishwasher on my first batch and have since switched to Star San and a vinigator... I'm still using the dishwasher to hold the bottles... I use about 26 Bombers in a batch...

Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
BubbaK
Recipes 

I ran my bottles through the dishwasher on sanitize and haven't had a bad one yet... I do give them a run through on a cleaning cycle to give them a wash, then when ready to bottle I put them all through a rinse and sanitize. No soaps for this cycle..

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I toss oxyclean in with my bottles and set it on heat dry, heavy scrubbing mode. Takes forever but does a great job cleaning them. I still check the bottoms for any gunk and find an occasional prize in the bottom, but that is usually taken care of with the bottle brush. I still sanitize afterwards prior to bottling.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I bottle, I hand wash the bottles with a bottle brush and OxyClean, then rinse and then run through the dishwasher. It is unlikely that your dishwasher is going to shoot enough water up the neck of the bottle on any cycle to completely clean the bottle.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy_Beer_Brewery View Post
When I bottle, I hand wash the bottles with a bottle brush and OxyClean, then rinse and then run through the dishwasher. It is unlikely that your dishwasher is going to shoot enough water up the neck of the bottle on any cycle to completely clean the bottle.
This my method also. I use no soap in the dishwasher and close off the jet dry dispenser. No issues to date with this way.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Gosassin
Recipes 

I put my bottles through once with soap, and then again with tiny squirt of Starsan in the main soap dish and another in the flip-top trap dispenser. I have never had a problem, except for the one time there was a piece of paper towel in the top rack. Still, that proved that soap/sanitizing water was indeed sprayed into the bottles, because I had paper mush inside half of them!

I've got a batch of SWMBO Slayer Belgian and a batch of cider to bottle this weekend, and I'm thinking of just putting the soap and starsan in together. Does anyone know if that will/won't work?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosassin View Post
I'm thinking of just putting the soap and starsan in together. Does anyone know if that will/won't work?
If they go in at different times (soap first, starsan second), it should work. If the go in at the same time, they will probably just neutralize each other and be ineffective.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
JMack
Recipes 

I wash the bottles first. Then run throught the heat sanitizing function of the dishwasher. No soap in the dishwasher, and I also run it empty prior to putting bottles in to make sure that any residues have been removed.

Fermenting: None
Bottled: None
On the Way: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Gotta try the Dunkelweizen again.
Gone: AHS Belgian Wit, BB Kolsch

Quick Reply