New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles Didn't Carb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
ChemE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bottles Didn't Carb

So I brewed a partial mash version of Cheese's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale and used the Wyest 1007 German Ale which doesn't care for temperatures above 75°F. My house is 75°F at night but the programmable thermostat lets it climb up to 80°F during the day. Fermentation went perfectly fine; from 1.050 to 1.012 in 8 days. I let it sit in primary for two more days and the FG didn't move so I bottled. Yes, I know it would have benefited from a few more weeks in primary but I was heading out of town for two weeks and wanted it to be carbed (albeit green) when I got home. Problem was when I returned it was flat as the day I bottled it. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem? I'd think it was temperature but fermentation went perfectly.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
ExpertBrewers
Recipes 

Have the bottles been carbing at room temperature? If so after 2 weeks the only thing I could think of is you didn't mix the priming sugar in completely or the bottle wasn't sealed properly.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd suspect the crowns if you got the cheapos at the lhbs. I had poor carbonation on my first batch with the cheap crowns, but the two batches I bottled with the crowns Brewer's Best puts in their kits carbed fine.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

did you forget the priming sugar?

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

3 weeks @ 70 minimum is the rule of thumb we recommend...it sometimes takes even longer...Read this and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #6
ChemE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertBrewers View Post
Have the bottles been carbing at room temperature? If so after 2 weeks the only thing I could think of is you didn't mix the priming sugar in completely or the bottle wasn't sealed properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
did you forget the priming sugar?
Sorry I didn't mention it in my initial post but yes, I used BeerSmith to calculate my priming sugar and I added to 2.00 oz (2.25 gallon batch, not 5 gallons; still using Mr. Beer fermentors while I cut my teeth). The priming sugar was dissolved in 2 cups of RO/DI microwaved to boiling. Each bottle got 20 mL of the priming solution. There was also a 2oz bottle of mandarin orange flavoring from AHS and 2 oz of lactose dissolved in the priming solution.

And yes, I always carb and bottle condition at room temp.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
ChemE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy_Beer_Brewery View Post
I'd suspect the crowns if you got the cheapos at the lhbs. I had poor carbonation on my first batch with the cheap crowns, but the two batches I bottled with the crowns Brewer's Best puts in their kits carbed fine.
I wish that was the problem. I use the oxygen barrier caps from AHS and an Agata bench bottle capper. The two batches before this carbonated without any problem using the same equipment and technique.

Secondary - Air

Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
ChemE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
3 weeks @ 70 minimum is the rule of thumb we recommend...it sometimes takes even longer...Read this and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101
Great post and video. Patience is a virtue just not one of mine! I'm heading back out of town for the next two weeks so we'll have an answer as to whether or not the yeast was being slow then. Even flat and warm this is my most delicious batch by far. Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated.

ChemE

Secondary - Air

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always boil the sugar in a cup of water for five minutes, cover and let cool, then add it to my sanitized bottling bucket and rack on top of it. That gets it evenly distributed in solution, and is much easier than measuring 20ml per bottle.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Measuring into the bottles sounds like a pain in the a$$. +1 to mixing the sugar solution with the beer in the bottling bucket. You'll get a uniform blend and it's so much easier.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Quick Reply