Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2291 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1713

The lil red rubber seals wear out & get what looked to me like dry rot on tires. Besides being squeezed so many times. They can be replaced with bags of'em at the lhbs. Cheap price too as I remember.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My boss brings me his empty Grolsch bottles every once in a while and I love them but most of my beer gets bottled in Sapporo bottles (12oz and 20oz) that the local sushi shop saved for me.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
mikerobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just save bottles from all the beer I drink...22s, 12s... Just rinse them out right after you pour. I wait until I have about a dozen and then let them soak in a sink full of hot water and PBW for about 30 minutes. By that time, most of the labels have fallen off already. A quick scrub with a steel sponge gets the remaining glue off. Let them dry and then wait until I have another dozen to clean. Then all you have to do on bottling day is throw them in the dishwasher to sanitize (that's what I do at least).

Primary: Black Bear Brown Ale

Bottled: Brown Sugar Porter

Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
deejay413
Recipes 

What about screw top growlers? My dad drinks them all the time so I can have him save me some.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
They say the bench cappers work better than the wing type like I've been using. The bench model is claimed by some to be successful at caping twist top bottles. Idk about that one myself...
What matter is the cap and not the capper (Twist off cap on twist off bottle of course...). At my LHBS I buyed a bench capper with twist off caps and was told that it would work just as good as the other caps (On non twist off bottle). However they warned me NOT to try to remove a twist off just after you cap. You will fell it's loosely capped, but if you give it time, it will be tight sealed so don't worry.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
mikerobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay413 View Post
What about screw top growlers? My dad drinks them all the time so I can have him save me some.
Here's something a friend of mine sent me when I asked about the same thing:

If you're using bigger bottles: like this one http://i.imgur.com/K18Kx.jpg then remember that bottles can explode from bottling if you do it wrong. Just remember that if 1 growler is a half gallon or 64 oz... then 5.333 12 oz beers would fit into it.

But here's the thing, as you double the surface area of a bottle, you quadruple the volume... let me show you on a simple square: http://i.imgur.com/fNcOv.jpg So while the bottle itself isn't that much bigger, the volume inside creates much more pressure from the same amount of priming sugar

So it's not that these bottles are more prone to exploding, it's that people don't adjust the priming sugar levels to compensate for the different sized vessel being used... The glass would need to be like 4 times thicker than a normal bottle to hold the same amount of pressure, but most of these bottles are only about twice as thick as a normal beer bottle.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2291 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1713

I tossed them since the glass on the twisties is also thinner. Dang,& I liked the blue bud platinum ones...

Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
rybrew
Recipes 

I collect grolsch bottles for very cheap, just call your local bottle recyclers ( if your country does thar, here in canada we do). The cost is minimal, its only $4 for 12 vs $40 for 12 at your local shop.

Does take skme cleanin to get the crud out, ive been soaking for 2 hours in pink chroline based cleaner and everything including labels falls off of at that point

Love the flip tops, not to mention botttled 50 bottles in 30 mins which was nice

Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
deejay413
Recipes 

Thanks for the info! I will probably use regular size bottles as this my first brew.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
mikerobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Good choice, IMHO. That's what I've been doing and I feel like the time spent bottling is worth it (plus, my wife usually helps out and caps for me while I fill). People are always asking if they can have some of my homebrew and sometimes I like to hoard it for myself...easier to part with 12oz vs 22oz or more.

Quick Reply