Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > bottled water for re-hydrating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
yeoldebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default bottled water for re-hydrating

I'm still practicing the simple stuff. I brewed a 2 gallon DME batch last night and for the first time, I re-hydrated the yeast instead of dry pitching.

I boiled some RO water in a pyrex cup in the microwave to sanitize the container. The hot water was then discarded and replaced with about a cup of Ozarka drinking water. Safale-04 was mixed with this at about 82 deg F and allowed to sit covered about 40 minutes with frequent stirring. The krauzen has taken off like a rocket at 6-8 hours. So I figure I either got it right or introduced some kind of go-getter contaminant.

Question after the fact: Is bottled water considered sanitary enough for dry yeast re-hydration? Boiling and then cooling down in time to pitch sounds like a real PITA.

My airlock passes gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply