Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled too early... how can I avoid bottle bombs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
BrewclearAssault
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Bottled too early... how can I avoid bottle bombs?

So I decided to make the Ginger Saison recipe out of the Extreme Brewing book, and everything was going rather smoothly. I brewed it, it looked like it was fermenting pretty well for about 3 weeks, and then come bottling day, I bottled the whole batch and didn't realize til I was done that I hadn't checked the gravity.

The Gravity is 1.030, which is waaaay high, yes? I've capped 47 bottles of this stuff and I do not want them to explode and go to waste. Do I have to pour them all back into a fermenting bucket and let them sit for a while yet until its at a better range of gravity? Or am I just being paranoid?

I mean seriously, I drank that sample I drew for the gravity reading, and it's freaking delicious! Gotta save this batch!

Make the final stand, and die with a beer in your hand!- Tankard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
BrewclearAssault
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heres the recipe, btw:

Ingredients:
1lb CaraMunich Malt
1.5 tsp Gypsum
6.6 lbs Light liquid extract syrup
1lb light dry malt extract
2 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets
8oz homemade amber candi sugar
80z light belgian candi sugar (white/clear in color)
1tsp irish moss
1/2 oz styrian golding hop pellets
2.5 ozs homemade crystallized ginger
Wyeast Saison 3724

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a similar situation recently and ended up with a batch full of gushers!

Instead of keeping a bunch of potential bottle bombs around, I chilled the bottles in an ice water bath, carefully uncapped them (use a quarter between the bottle opener and cap), and allowed them to gush for a good 20 minutes in the sink. Then I recapped them and viola- no exploding bottles! I did lose a good inch of beer out of the neck in each bottle, but hey, its better than dumping them. The beer was good too, so I'm glad I saved them! If you're batch hasn't carbed up yet, it might be better to carefully pour the beer back into the fermenter and allow it to finish, then try again.

Lesson learned: always check the gravity before bottling, and when in doubt, wait!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
BrewclearAssault
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I just finished bottling about 2 hours ago, so hopefully I will have enough time to dump them back into the fermenter. *sigh* learning the hard way sucks! Thanks a lot for your advice, though!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

if you dump that beer back in there is a good chance of oxidation. I don't think you can be careful enough. purge the fermenter with CO2? I'd let them sit and try and pop and recap.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't worry about oxidation. Put the beer back in the fermenter. Do your best to minimize splashing and such, and make sure to sanitize everything well.

The reason that you can do this and not worry about oxidation is that yeast gobble up oxygen when they reproduce, and you're going to pitch more yeast. Go to your LHBS and get a pack of Wyeast 3711. If they don't have that, a pack of dry neutral ale yeast like SA05 will do. Pitch that in, cover it up, and wait until your gravity is stable (if you use 3711, it should hit 1.005 or so, while SA05 will give your around 1.010).

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you repitched yeast that would help with the oxidation factor, they would eat it ip as the budded and reproduced. it sounded though as if it was just going to be poured back in and relied on the preset yeast. I just wouldn't trust pouring and letting it sit.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is the 1.030 after adding priming sugar? If so, how much sugar did you use?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Is the 1.030 after adding priming sugar?
Yeah, after three weeks it should have been done. From what you described, I'd say you took a sample from the last of the bottling bucket and if not mixed well, your priming sugar may have been a more concentrated there.

Here's what I'd do. Put all your bottles in something like a cooler or plastic storage bin with a lid. After a few days start checking them daily.

If you get a bomb, carefully open and quickly recap the rest the way acidrain discribed. Then refrigerate them. Chilling will stop them from carbonating more.

If you don't get a bomb after a week, refrigerate a bottle for a day and try it. If the carbonation level is good on that one, chill the rest. If not wait a couple of days and repeat.

Billy-Klubb

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Yeah, after three weeks it should have been done. From what you described, I'd say you took a sample from the last of the bottling bucket and if not mixed well, your priming sugar may have been a more concentrated there.
He used Wyeast 3724. A stuck ferment at 1.030 after 2-4 weeks is virtually a guarantee with that yeast unless you keep it 85+ degrees. Great flavor, but it can be a pain in the a$$ to finish out.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply