New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled First Batch....tastes kinda funny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
cackxt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled First Batch....tastes kinda funny

So my wife and I bottled our first batch, an American Wheat. We primaried (sp?) for 9 days b/c fermentation lasted 6. Then we racked to a secondary for 7.5 days. After the primary fementation all tasted well. Then once we began the bottling we took a sample for a hydrometer reading (1.013) and gave it a taste. All I can say is that it has a real dry, flat (obviously), not astringent, but definitely alcohol taste to it.

We have been using the basement for fermentation as this is the only cool portion of our home. We also wrapped the vessel in a towel to avoid any light. Temps could range from 68F to 74F, and swing within that range throughout the primary and seconday phases. My question, could the temperature swings have affected the taste or could the beer have been sitting too long with the trub imparting off flavoring?

It is really hard to describe the flavor, but we both agreed that it did not taste as good after secondary fementation as our tasting after primary fementation. What are your opinions?

As always, the help we receive here is greatly appreciated!!!

We really aren't that worried about it, as it has been a fun process. I'm pretty lucky to have a lady who likes to brew!

Planning: Something
Primary 1: Zero
Primary 2: Zip
Primary 3 (1gal): Nada
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3 (1gal): First Wort Hopped Simcoe IPA
Conditioning: Nothing
Drinking: Wheateater, Chinook IPA, Kolsch

Last edited by cackxt; 06-07-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Give it a few weeks (3) in bottles. My hefe didnt taste great after a week but got much better in time.

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree, early tasting is a sure way to make yourself worry. A couple of weeks in the bottle and your hefe will taste great, guaranteed. This is especially true for hefes which taste absolutely rancid early. The trub doesn't impart flavours unless you leave it for months.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
cackxt
Recipes 

I just got back from the LHBS (My Home Brew Shop), and the owner said the same thing. However, I brewed on premise with him a while back using virtually the same recipe and it didn't taste the same. Most likely the difference between his AG and my extract version, but it is what it is. I'm relaxing with my Widmer as we speak, wish it were my HB. Thanks.

Planning: Something
Primary 1: Zero
Primary 2: Zip
Primary 3 (1gal): Nada
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3 (1gal): First Wort Hopped Simcoe IPA
Conditioning: Nothing
Drinking: Wheateater, Chinook IPA, Kolsch

Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I bet in three weeks you will be amazed. Patience is almost always rewarded in home brewing.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Tasting through the process is always a good idea cause you get a feeling to how your beer taste at diffeent stages... but remember... you are tasting THROUGH a process. Not only will it taste better with some age, but at the point you are tasting it the process is not even over yet.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply