Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled first batch few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
sportscrazed2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottled first batch few questions

First when transfering to bottling bucket with autosiphon it was going super slow so I had to continusouly pump. Did this oxidize beer? secondly how do you avoid having to tip bucket near end when beer level gets below spigot level? and finally the very last beer was getting sediment in it so i decided it wasn't worth tilting bucket to get every last drop of beer and just threw the little bit below spigot out. The taste of that last half beer was pretty sour. does it have anything to do with the little sediment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Lepersquatch
Recipes 

Hello, My siphon takes a while also. The higher you can get the secondary up the better it goes. I also just toss the remainder of the brew under the spigot too the beer gods. The sour taste is probably because the beer is still young. Let it bottle condition for at least 3-4 weeks.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

alright so i should be alright since i continuously pumped? i had the fermenter right next to the bottling bucket so that could have been my problem. next time i will put fermenter on table and bottling bucket on a chair or something. i used muntons tabs because it seemed easier and they only cost me $3.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Lepersquatch
Recipes 

Oh yeah forgot that one next time DONT PUMP. It should be fine though.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

alright now to find an empty rubber maid crate in case i get bottle bombs? any advice on better ways of getting lid off buckets? to do it i had to cradle it between my legs and pry with all my might. now my finger hurts

Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
rsquared
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
alright so i should be alright since i continuously pumped? i had the fermenter right next to the bottling bucket so that could have been my problem. next time i will put fermenter on table and bottling bucket on a chair or something. i used muntons tabs because it seemed easier and they only cost me $3.
A siphon only works when the output (the end of the hose in your bottling bucket for instance) is physically lower than the input (the tip of your autosiphon). The greater the distance between these two, the faster it will flow.

In other words, you can put your fermenter on top of a phone book next to the bottling bucket and get a slow flow, or put it up on top of the table for a much quicker flow. Just remember faster, isn't always better (too fast and you could possibly get some aeration you don't want at this point) but you can use the height difference to your advantage, such as moving the fermenter down closer to the bottling bucket towards the end if you want to slow it down and try to avoid getting trub (sediment) in your bottling bucket.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

yeah the thing is i want the bottling bucket to sit on the table off the edge because i attach the want to the spigot. hope i didn't aerate it too much

Quick Reply