Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled brew way too foamy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know people tend to jump to the infection conclusion way too quickly on here. Did you sanitize everything? Did you boil your brew? Did you cool as quick as possible and pitch as soon as possible? The only thing i think you did wrong is not batch priming and calculating the exact sugar mass you would need for your beer style. My first 3-4 beers i just used the whole priming sugar pack in my bottling session, then discovered the benefits of calculated batch priming.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
durbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCH View Post
How long did the bottles chill for prior to opening? It takes at least 48 hrs for the co2 to dissolve into the beer. I just made an Irish red that foamed like crazy until I chilled it for 2 whole days. Once chilled they poured perfect with a nice head. If you chilled your bottles for long enough prior to opening than it may something else like others have suggested (fermentation not finished, infection).
Yeah that's a good point. Some of them may have been only the day before. Which may have also happened before as well. I'll see if it happens next time and keep an eye on how long they've all been in there and see if that does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab View Post
Did you sanitize everything? Did you boil your brew? Did you cool as quick as possible and pitch as soon as possible? The only thing i think you did wrong is not batch priming and calculating the exact sugar mass you would need for your beer style.
Everything was sanitised well as far I can tell. I didn't boil the brew but I did add the tin to boiling water per the instructions. Cooling and yeast I think was all fine as well. Needless to say I've left the kits behind and have started doing partials. So much more control and excitement.

Thanks all for your feedback

Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Next time give the beer time to get down to FG by testing with a hydrometer. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by products of fermentation. The beer will settle out clear or slightly misty at this same time. Give the bottles at least 3 weeks at 70F or a lil better to carb & condition. Then a week in the fridge to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution well. It's not a quick process. Especially when you need to get them to stop foaming over. And I date the cap for when they went in the fridge so I can tell which is which.

Quick Reply