New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled brew way too foamy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
durbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I bottled my second batch about 6 weeks ago. It was a Morgan's Dark Ale kit with a tin of their caramalt added as well. They spent 2 weeks fermenting before I bottled the 330ml (12oz I think) bottles with a sugar drop each. My problem is, now that I'm starting to drink them, a few have been severely overflowing when I open them (as if they've been shaken up) and have been extremely foamy in the mouth. Almost to the point of being undrinkable. (Almost).

What have I done wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 805 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

1) could be that your beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled

2) or that there is an infection in the bottles that are foaming over

3) or you primed too much - I don't know what a sugar drop is

Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_
1) could be that your beer wasn't done fermenting when you bottled

2) or that there is an infection in the bottles that are foaming over

3) or you primed too much - I don't know what a sugar drop is
Sugar drops are usually meant to be enough priming sugar for one 12 oz bottle. It's probably #1 or maybe #2

How long have they been in the bottles?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
durbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it. They've been in the bottles for probably 6-7 weeks. It could well be #1 or #2. In fact I just remembered that I borrowed a mates glass carboy to ferment in and didn't have a siphon as I was still getting my kit fully set up. So I tipped it into my plastic fermenter which has a spigot to bottle. Could I have over aerated it in the transfer?

There is also a thin white film at the top of some bottles. I guess this could be sign of infection or maybe further fermentation, I'm not sure.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Have you tasted them? You might have to shake them some to get all the CO2 out. If it tastes terrible you probably had either bad oxidation (from pouring your mostly finished beer) or an infection. If they taste ok it probably hadn't finished fermenting yet. Be careful of bottle bombs...

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
No1ukno
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How long have they sat in fridge. I made a watermelon wheat once and at room temp or after a week in fridge they would foam like crazy but after several weeks in fridge they opened/poured perfect. Idk if it makes a difference but did in my case.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had carb issues until I started becoming more accurate with the sugar. Such as using a online carbing calculator, measuring sugar by mass not volume, determining the number of volumes(unit of measurement) to use. Still, my last batch was a bit too carbed for my taste, but at least I know how to adjust.

I don't understand why your adding priming sugar to each bottle vs. just making one batch of priming solution and adding it to the bottling bucket. I save the bottle drops for when I'm

I like beer

Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
durbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Have you tasted them? You might have to shake them some to get all the CO2 out. If it tastes terrible you probably had either bad oxidation (from pouring your mostly finished beer) or an infection. If they taste ok it probably hadn't finished fermenting yet. Be careful of bottle bombs...
I have had a fair few and shared a fair few. Some have foamed up, some haven't. They don't taste too bad. It is fairly bitter, and I only used about an oz of hops (half boiled, half dry), but I don't know how to recognise off flavours from infection yet so hard to say. But they are still drinkable so perhaps I'm leaning towards them not having finished fermenting yet.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by shaking them to get the CO2 out. Would this not cause them to overflow even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ukno View Post
How long have they sat in fridge.
Some have been in there about 3 weeks, some maybe a few days. I've been drinking some and replacing them with non-refrigerated ones for about the last 3 weeks and haven't kept track of which is which. But suffice it to say that max 3 weeks they've been in there.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
durbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post

I don't understand why your adding priming sugar to each bottle vs. just making one batch of priming solution and adding it to the bottling bucket. I save the bottle drops for when I'm
It was more to do with lack of knowledge than anything. It was only my second brew, I was very much still learning and the priming tabs were all I knew how to do. I still am learning but since this brew I've done a stack more reading on the topic and I'll definitely be using a bottling bucket for my next one since I have a much better understanding of the entire process.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
BCH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long did the bottles chill for prior to opening? It takes at least 48 hrs for the co2 to dissolve into the beer. I just made an Irish red that foamed like crazy until I chilled it for 2 whole days. Once chilled they poured perfect with a nice head. If you chilled your bottles for long enough prior to opening than it may something else like others have suggested (fermentation not finished, infection).

Quick Reply